Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

That command doesn't work on device lights.

Maniac

That command doesn't work on device lights.
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:32:47 am »
So for the last couple of weeks my experience with Alexa has gone downhill due to intermittent issues with the smart home controls (echo plus). My other half is giving me serious jip now, as it's been an uphill battle to get it into the house in the first place.

So intermittently a command such as 'lights off' or 'turn off the lights' results in a 'That command doesn't work on device lights'. Each echo I have is part of a smart home group, with the lights and a few sockets in each.

75% of the time and only for the last two weeks, I get the above response, but if I persist and repeat the command or a derivative it will eventually work.

Anyone else had this? Any clues?

I read an article earlier where someone had the issue and it was connectivity, timeouts causing the echo to respond with a not supported message when in fact its unable to execute the control command.  I'll have to reboot the router later and the echo's to try this...

Re: That command doesn't work on device lights.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:00:45 am »
what do you mean by device lights.  are you talking about smartbulbs or switches?

Maniac

Re: That command doesn't work on device lights.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:55:47 am »
Thanks for the reply.

So as an example, my lounge has a combination of hue and osram bulbs, plus some smartthings outlets. They're all recognised by alexa as lights. There are also some other outlets that control the TV power, Hifi etc.

This has all been fine until the last couple of weeks.  I could say 'alexa turn off the TV' or 'Alexa turn off the lights' and it would do as outlined.

Now however, intermittently, only with the lights, if I say 'alexa turn off the lights' or 'alexa, lights off' it responds with the message mentioned, that they're invalid commands for lights. Which of course, they're not.

The lounge group, contains the echo plus, the various lights and switches so the context element of not having to specify the group or room name applies.