Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Get Alexa to read a PDF out loud

HanPlay

Get Alexa to read a PDF out loud
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:12:58 am »
​Hi
As an owner of an echo dot I need my Alexa device to read a pdf out loud. I have just tried sending it to my kindle application which is supposedly linked to my alexa's account. However, my pdf doesn't show up for it to be read for alexa. In fact, no book shows up.
I noticed that several people are asking the same, but Kindle doesn't work for some reason. I am not a developer and therefore I cannot develop my own program...
I was wondering if you possibly knew solutions to this, how could I get alexa to read a pdf.

Thank you

HanPlay

Re: Get Alexa to read a PDF out loud
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:20:03 am »
Hi!
Thanks for the answer!

Despite having read and followed that post's instructions, my Alexa app isn't capable of detecting my pdf as a book. I read a comment on the reddit post you sent me in which someone claims to have noticed the same. They were saying something about "readable pdf's"... In other words, Alexa says I have nothing in my library because I have to first configure it from the application (which I did).

Do you know how to fix this?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:22:35 am by HanPlay »

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:05:53 pm »
Hi!
Thanks for the answer!

Despite having read and followed that post's instructions, my Alexa app isn't capable of detecting my pdf as a book. I read a comment on the reddit post you sent me in which someone claims to have noticed the same. They were saying something about "readable pdf's"... In other words, Alexa says I have nothing in my library because I have to first configure it from the application (which I did).

Do you know how to fix this?
I read the link the OP posted.  In a few comments, tech support was contacted & they were told "option is not available yet."  Comments were over a year old. 
I suggest that you call customer support for detailed instructions if the "option" is currently available.

CS Phone:
Dial 1-877-375-9365 or 1-206-922-0197

Good luck!

HanPlay

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:53:05 pm »
Hi!
I was thinking of contacting the support team only as a last resort. But I guess that if it didn't work back then and it still doesn't, it wasn't implemented.

If the kindle way does not work, I guess I could try other way.
A couple of hours ago I downloaded a skill that could read your mail out loud. That could pretty much do what I wanted. Because the pdf could be written as text on an email.
What I noticed though is that Alexa reads them extremely quickly and not marking the !/? signs on a sentence. I know she is capable of doing that... I'm still open for other options, maybe other skills?...

Thanks

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:00:11 pm »
Not really Amazon product related, but if you have a windows 10. They have that read aloud feature. It's not voice activated though. But you can use your echo as BT speaker so, well just an idea.

Actually even previous windows has that feature. I think it's called narrator.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:15:10 am »
Hi!
I was thinking of contacting the support team only as a last resort. But I guess that if it didn't work back then and it still doesn't, it wasn't implemented.

If the kindle way does not work, I guess I could try other way.
A couple of hours ago I downloaded a skill that could read your mail out loud. That could pretty much do what I wanted. Because the pdf could be written as text on an email.
What I noticed though is that Alexa reads them extremely quickly and not marking the !/? signs on a sentence. I know she is capable of doing that... I'm still open for other options, maybe other skills?...

Thanks

just curious, what skill did you try?  unfortunately I cannot answer your question if the link was unable to help. 

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:11:39 pm »
Not really Amazon product related, but if you have a windows 10. They have that read aloud feature. It's not voice activated though. But you can use your echo as BT speaker so, well just an idea.

Actually even previous windows has that feature. I think it's called narrator.
Macs has the same feature(s):  Dictation (Speakable Items) & Siri all through BT.

Have you checked YouTube tutorial videos for what you are trying to do?

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 05:45:49 pm »
OP is better off installing adobe, I read they have that read aloud feature. Don't know if you can voice activate though.

HanPlay

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 11:21:34 am »
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments!

just curious, what skill did you try?  unfortunately I cannot answer your question if the link was unable to help.
It's called MyEmail. It's a great skill but I noticed a couple drawbacks that impede my project to be pushed forward.

Macs has the same feature(s):  Dictation (Speakable Items) & Siri all through BT.

Have you checked YouTube tutorial videos for what you are trying to do?
Hi! Yeah, I've seen a couple videos. But I haven't seen how an actual text/pdf is being read.

OP is better off installing adobe, I read they have that read aloud feature. Don't know if you can voice activate though.
Is that a skill?

Thanks everybody

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 03:14:58 pm »
Adobe Acrabat Reader is an app.  It can read as well as speak files.