Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo's cyan not pointing at person speaking

FrankLP

Echo's cyan not pointing at person speaking
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:11:32 pm »
Although its stated/documented that the Alexa Echo's ring will be blue with a cyan segment pointing in the direction of the person speaking, both my echoes' (in different rooms) cyan section always point in the same direction no matter where the person speaking is located.

I've tried triggering them from all different locations (behind, to its left, right, etc), but the cyan section always points towards the opposite side of its the power cord.

Is this right, or are both my units defective?

Thanks,
Frank

asianrocker

Re: Echo's cyan not pointing at person speaking
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »
Cool. Did not even know about that. I tested mine and mine points cyan to the position I was at. So yeah my cyan works I guess or maybe my mic (still deaf for the most part though). Mine is 6 months old. How old is yours?

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:37 pm »
what happens if you are right next to it?  any ambient noise, ceiling fans etc in the room?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:31:46 am »
The microphone array is at the top of the Echo & Echo Dot. Over time, dust can accumulate inside the hole where the microphone array is located. This might affect Alexa's hearing. If possible, try using some compressed air to blow out any dust that may have settled in there. If you use aerosol sprays near your Echo (such as hair spray, Febreze, air fresheners, etc.) it could also clog up the microphone array. Those are rather difficult to clean out since they stick to surfaces. It might be easier just to replace the Echo completely.

FrankLP

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:48:07 am »
Cool. Did not even know about that. I tested mine and mine points cyan to the position I was at. So yeah my cyan works I guess or maybe my mic (still deaf for the most part though). Mine is 6 months old. How old is yours?

Just got both of these in the past week... week and a half.

FrankLP

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:50:20 am »
what happens if you are right next to it?  any ambient noise, ceiling fans etc in the room?

Have tried being next to it and in different locations (see original post) and have tried turning off any other "noises" (TV), but the Echo still doesn't point towards me.

FrankLP

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 05:54:10 am »
The microphone array is at the top of the Echo & Echo Dot. Over time, dust can accumulate inside the hole where the microphone array is located. This might affect Alexa's hearing. If possible, try using some compressed air to blow out any dust that may have settled in there. If you use aerosol sprays near your Echo (such as hair spray, Febreze, air fresheners, etc.) it could also clog up the microphone array. Those are rather difficult to clean out since they stick to surfaces. It might be easier just to replace the Echo completely.

Thanks for the ideas.  Mine are both less than two weeks old and are really clean. Where they're located they aren't subjected to any air borne "pollutants", but I'll try the "air cleaning".

FrankLP

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:01:32 am »
Hi again all,
I just tried "rebooting" my Echo and still the same... a bit frustrating that both of them are acting this way.

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:45:35 am »
try to use the voice training. If you go to settings and scroll down, you will see your voice. If it still behaves the same then replace it. Does it hear you fine otherwise? Maybe they remove that feature on newer ones who knows?

I did not even know about it. Like I said even if my cyan is working I still have to repeat my commands most of the time so I don't think it even matters, LOL.

But if it bothers you that much then replace it.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 02:13:01 pm »
Hi again all,
I just tried "rebooting" my Echo and still the same... a bit frustrating that both of them are acting this way.

As a test, maybe you can put the Echo in the middle of the room with no obstructions around it. I know that my Echo devices point in the wrong direction if I place them within 1-2 ft of a wall. Even if the Echo is not near a wall, if I talk in a direction that is not directly facing towards the Echo, the cyan light also points in the wrong direction. I suspect my voice is just bouncing off the wall that I am facing. And from the Echo's point of view, that's where it thinks I am speaking from.

Just a shot in the dark, is your house particularly acoustic? Perhaps high ceilings, marble/stone floors, stone walls, mirrors or glass on walls, etc? Basically anything that's hard or solid that reflect sound waves?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:17:12 pm by jwlv »

grum

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 04:37:36 am »
@FrankLP My Echo Dot is doing the same.

I tried restarting and noticed that the first time I speak to Alexa after starting up, the cyan light nearest to me does light up correctly. But from then on, that's the only one that lights up, no matter where I'm speaking from.

My Dot is also new, bought last week. Reported to Amazon via the Alexa App but that just triggered a robot reply suggesting that I call customer services.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 10:41:03 am »
I know mine have always followed me around when I woke and commanded them. But since this Originally was posted I have paid close attention and found I have the same actual results. The indicator does not indicate direction any longer. must have had something in one of the updates that killed that... complain enough and maybe they'll fix it... or just live with it. It's not all that important to me anyway. Some may not like it, but may have no choice. I'd rather have useful functionalities like compound commands, than a light that follows me around. If they need to knock off the light to make something like that happen, I'm All In.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Laurel

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 01:14:36 pm »
We just tested the cyan on ours and it is tracking our voices just fine. i.e. it is moving when we change position and speak.