Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Can't Get Good Night Routine To Activate

SC7639

Can't Get Good Night Routine To Activate
« on: November 29, 2017, 04:11:52 am »
Hi I'm a new echo owner as of yesterday. I've set up a good night Routine to turn off my living room lights but when I say "Alexa, Good night" it didn't active my routine only says "Good Night, sweet dreams". I know the routine do work as my good morning and I'm off routines work fine.

billbudd

Re: Can't Get Good Night Routine To Activate
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:08:04 am »
I tried the same.  I am guessing that "Good Night" is a recognised echo keyword pair so you cannot override it.  I use "Night Night".

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 10:38:40 am »
I use "Go to sleep"  ;)

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:42:35 am »
if the routine is set up right, good night will work.  I use it without any issues. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:31:02 pm by renegade600 »

Drwoodr

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:51:09 am »
Same issue here. The odd thing is, if you add a routine in the Alexa app, under "When you say..." one of the examples is "Good Night".

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:32:39 pm »
Hi I'm a new echo owner as of yesterday. I've set up a good night Routine to turn off my living room lights but when I say "Alexa, Good night" it didn't active my routine only says "Good Night, sweet dreams". I know the routine do work as my good morning and I'm off routines work fine.

if you just set up the echo.  then wait a day or so for it to get all the latest firmware updates.   routines are still pretty new and any echos manufacture before the release will not have it until updated. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:35:13 pm by renegade600 »

StevenR

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:43:25 pm »
I had the same issue initially (just getting the built-in response when trying to trigger a "Good night" routine), so I checked the history in the Alexa app and found that when I said "good night" it was hearing it as "goodnight". When I changed the phrase for the routine to "Goodnight" to match what was in the history it started working.