Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa responds with okay, but not changing tv channel

Nanavirginnia

Alexa responds with okay, but not changing tv channel
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:58:45 pm »
After spending all day I finally got Alexa and harmony hub registered, set up and linked.  Pretty good for 72 yo Granny.   All is well
except....harmony works great but Alexa answers by saying ok when I ask to change tv channel, but nothing happens.  Ive triple checked everything and know it is something simple.  At some point today she would turn tv on and off.

Any thoughts out there?  Thanks for any suggestions

Spectre_I

Re: Alexa responds with okay, but not changing tv channel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »
Not bad at all!

Are you telling it to change channel to <Channel Name> or <Channel #>?  I have found that the Alexa / Harmony won't work with "Change to channel BBC", but will work with "Change to channel 7". 

I found this as I also use the Dish skill.  Once Harmony takes over, you lose the Dish functionality.

Hope this helps.

Nanavirginnia

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:44:48 pm »
Thanks, good idea but I tried that already.  I said it both ways.  I'm using cable.  I'm just so sure it's something simple like that.  I keep going over it but to no avail.  Alexa is linked to harmony hub and the hub works fine with my iPhone 5 as my remote.  Isn't it strange they didn't include a remote!?  Yeah, I know the phone is old but I can't see paying upwards of $1000 for a phone when I can buy all this neat technology instead.  I also bought Philips hue bulbs and some receptacles too.  And my fire stick is on the way.   

Spectre_I

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:36:53 pm »
Alexa is linked to harmony hub and the hub works fine with my iPhone 5 as my remote.  Isn't it strange they didn't include a remote!? ...
OK, I did it the other way.  I have been a harmony remote user forever.  My latest was the "elite" all set up.  When I got into alexa, I got a hub.  When I plugged in my harmony hub, it just imported everything from my remote.  Good luck, I am sure it's a simple button.