Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Help getting started

Synycyl

Help getting started
« on: November 26, 2017, 03:57:29 pm »
Hello all,

I am looking for advice to get started in the world of Echo.  On Christmas, my home will have an Echo Plus, three Echo Dots, and 4 TP-link Smart Plugs.  I plan to have the Echo Plus in a central location in the home, and the three Dots are going into individual bedrooms.  Right now I just plan on using the Echos to run some lights and provide the typical Alexa conversations with family members. 

As I set this up, do you have any tips or more importantly things to avoid?  I am particularly concerned about accounts.  I am the only family member with Prime.  I want my daughters to be able to talk to the Dots in their room and access their own calendar and contacts but still have access to my content.  I am having flashbacks of when I first got iPhones for my girls and we all had the same account and eventually all our contacts got merged into one big mess.  We are all on separate accounts now, but my contact list is still full of people I don't know. 

Should each user have their own account?  If each user has their own account, does that complicate things?  Can I still call up to my daughter's bedroom from the livingroom Echo and vice versa?

Sorry for the ramble.  I feel like I am jumping in the deep end.  At least I have a month to conduct my research.

Thanks for your time.

Laurel

Re: Help getting started
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:05:35 pm »
I read your post but don't have the answers for your questions.  Didn't want you to think we all are ignoring you.  I'm sure one of the Amazon Alexa techs will talk you through it if you call.  Good luck.

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:16:34 pm »
I've a feeling separate accounts is the only way to go if you want separate calendars and a bit of privacy but I imagine you'll only get access to this on the individual machine registered to each of you. You can still use all the others for general stuff but your own might be restricted to 'your' device.

Synycyl

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:00:08 pm »
I appreciate your replies.  Fortunately I still have some time for research.