Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Light Switches that Don't Require a Hub Echo Plus

U_LUZE

Light Switches that Don't Require a Hub Echo Plus
« on: November 24, 2017, 09:47:22 pm »
Hi All,

I'm new to the Echo Plus. I've searched in various places and can't find a simple answer. Which light switches will work without a hub on the Echo Plus that you recommend? Just a simple single location switch. I see the Z-waves are relatively inexpensive but they don't work with the Echo Plus without a hub? I've seen others but they are much more expensive and less common. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mike27oct

Re: Light Switches that Don't Require a Hub Echo Plus
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 01:43:59 am »
One of the more popular brands is by TP Link and the Amazon store at my local mall sells then by the ton.  I presume it will worn on the Plus; it works for all the other devices.  Picked one up tonight for just $5 at Amazon store for black friday special.  It's not the one I prefer (the mini plug) but for $5 we can find a place for it somewhere.

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 09:42:24 am »
Here is a link for compatible devices from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17238426011

Here's a switch:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015YJAHY0/ref=gbps_tit_m13_7ce7_d7c6d30e?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=16eea001-5ce6-4b76-8d05-250db1bf7ce7&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-13&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=17238426011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=HRXRX1BRVDA06MQNZMW7

The Echo Plus has a zigbee radio- you are correct in that it won't communicate directly with z-wave products. There are also differing zigbee protocols, so not every zigbee device will work. I can't help directly as I don't have a Plus. I do have a z-wave home automation system, so the Plus doesn't do anything "extra" for me.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:47:16 am by kevb »

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 12:27:17 pm »
One of the more popular brands is by TP Link and the Amazon store at my local mall sells then by the ton.  I presume it will worn on the Plus; it works for all the other devices.  Picked one up tonight for just $5 at Amazon store for black friday special.  It's not the one I prefer (the mini plug) but for $5 we can find a place for it somewhere.

Mike, is it a switch or a plug?  I know you said you bought it at the Amazon store but maybe they have it online too.  What is the name of it.  I'd like to give my parents and aunt a little taste of a smart home.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:28:15 pm »
It was the original (larger) smart plug, NOT the mini.  We bought another $30 Dot; this one for my wife's home office, and the manager said toss this plug in -- it's only $5 today here and and online.  Sale could be over now, but the TP Link stuff is still on sale for BF weekend.

U_LUZE

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:03:05 pm »
Have you guys had any luck with the Wemo switches? They seem to be on sale for around $30.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:12:02 pm »
I prefer the TP Link MINI plugs, because they only take uo one outlet.  In fact, two can be plugged into one double outlet.  They can be found for around same price when on sale, too.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »
I have about 9 wemo switches.  I use them on my lamps, computers and tvs.  they work great.  only had problems with them one time after an update and had to go around and to do a power cycle on each one of them.  nothing worse than having to crawl under a table to do it then see stars after clobbering your head. 

however if you are talking about wall switches to turn on overhead lights, then I cannot give an opinion.  I would have rather used those but don't have the proper wiring to use them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:20:09 pm by renegade600 »

U_LUZE

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 08:01:20 pm »
Definitely talking about wall switches for ceiling lights. I don't really have a need for outlets or "plug ins. Sounds like the Wemo should work. Now my next dilemma is finding a 3 way switch that works. Where you have 2 switches that controls one light. For that it looks like I need Zwave but I really don't want to have to use a hub.  :-[

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 08:04:47 pm »
most of them will not work with two wall switches for the same light.   the same goes with three way.  wemo will not...

U_LUZE

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 08:23:23 pm »
most of them will not work with two wall switches for the same light.   the same goes with three way.  wemo will not...

Thanks. That's what I've been finding. GE makes one but I'd need a hub.  >:(

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 08:38:44 pm »
I prefer the TP Link MINI plugs, because they only take uo one outlet.  In fact, two can be plugged into one double outlet.  They can be found for around same price when on sale, too.

Wemo makes a Mini also.  Amazon has it but I can't get on their site right now to post a link.
TP-Link outlets were on sale for $20 on Amazon this morning but back up to $25 now which is still a good price.

Offline kevb

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 09:43:25 am »
For the in-wall switches, you also need to have a neutral wire in the box. For a three-way situation, you would need to make sure power goes through a switch, then to the light. The switch I linked should work as a three-way, but you need the accompanying "auxiliary switch". That switch is wired to the main switch via one of the traveller wires.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 02:29:38 pm »
For the in-wall switches, you also need to have a neutral wire in the box. For a three-way situation, you would need to make sure power goes through a switch, then to the light. The switch I linked should work as a three-way, but you need the accompanying "auxiliary switch". That switch is wired to the main switch via one of the traveller wires.

that was my problem - no neutral wire.  so I had to use bulbs.  now there are some smart wall switches that can be placed over the original switch without any rewiring.  Not sure if they are alexa compatible or work without a hub.  one such model is switchmate. 

GA

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 04:41:22 pm »
I used an Ewelink Wall Switch. It was easy to install, requires a neutral wire. It was pretty inexpensive 24 on Amazon. It works perfectly with Alexa, and echo dot. The instruction that comes with it, are ok, but follow the instructions given on the ewelink App. to get it to register. I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and have had no problems. I have verified that it worked remotely, so all is good. I am going to purchase a few more. Also,  I don't believe you will find a set of smart switches to use in a 3 way configuration. This last statement may have been wrong. I just found a 3 way switch configuration. It is a Leviton DW6HD and DD00R-DLC this would replace the two manual switches that control one light. I am going to try this soon. It does not require a Hub. I will post when I do and get it configured.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:10:16 am by GA »