Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Requesting Classical Music

BrighterLater

Requesting Classical Music
« on: November 24, 2017, 04:57:48 pm »
Hi - Any tips for requesting Classical music. If I want to listen to the whole of Bach's Christmas Oratorio directed by John Eliot Gardner then how do I structure my request. Getting frustrated by not being understood "Alexa, play Delius "Fear no more the heat of the sun" comes back with ammusing interpretations but not the desired result.

mike27oct

Re: Requesting Classical Music
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:17:05 pm »
Classical music is a special case since the description can be rather long.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
best thing to do with classical music is if possible, create playlists. 

Laurel

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 10:46:07 pm »
The classical music you requested is from the pay for music part of Amazon Music called Unlimited. That is why Alexa couldn't bring it up unless you have Unlimited.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:37:44 am »
I also might add that playing classical music on a Dot could be a criminal offence depending upon where you live.  Even playing classical music on an Echo could get one a fine .  Best thing is just to play a classical music Tunein station, if you just HAVE to play classical music on the Alexa devices.  I admit I do this sometimes, but only when my blinds are closed.

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 04:50:55 am »
I suppose it depends on what country you live in, but playing classical music in the UK is the same as any other kind of music - if you're playing it to the public, even a radio station, you need a licence from the Performing Rights Society. There's no problem at all in playing music privately.

As renegade600 says, the best way to play any classical piece covered by more than one track is to set up a playlist - or two if you want to listen to a Mahler symphony. You can also ask Alexa to play a whole album from your library. She has trouble with some composers' names; I had to remove "Suk" from my playlists and just use the name of the pieces.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:17:34 pm »
playlists can also be used for just one song.  it is a round about way of renaming when alexa does not understand what you are wanting to listen to. 

mindmagic

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 04:12:27 am »
playlists can also be used for just one song.  it is a round about way of renaming when alexa does not understand what you are wanting to listen to. 

Yes, I had to do that with a couple of the Suk pieces.

Jeff29

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 12:53:46 am »
Same topic also identified as a repeat by the OP:  http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,2788.0.html