Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to choose which Echo to get

Trixiesmom2u

How to choose which Echo to get
« on: November 24, 2017, 01:09:52 pm »
I want Alexa in my 4 room mobile home. My mobility is impaired. I spend most of my time in my recliner, often sleeping there as well if my pain is too great. I want to be able to control my lights and lock or unlock my doors with a voice command to Alexa. Maybe I could even get her to start the coffee in the morning.  Do I go with Echo or Echo plus. Is a dot what I need for my bedroom? What exactly is a dot?

Drwoodr

Re: How to choose which Echo to get
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 02:06:55 pm »
An Echo dot is just a small Echo. Major difference is sound quality. If you want to listen to music, get the echo. If you just want to control devices, get the dot. You can also hook a dot up to an external speaker, either via wire or bluetooth, so if you already have one and can use it with the dot, then you don't need the Echo. That said, I currently have a dot with a bluetooth connection to an external speaker, but you have to physically turn on the speaker and my wife never does that, and I can't stand the sound quality from the dot, so I just ordered a new Echo to replace the dot.

As for the Echo Plus, that adds a smart hub. But depending on what light and door controls you buy, you may not need it. Some smart home devices require a separate hub, hence the Plus. But I have Wemo light switches and outlets that work with my Echos and Echo dots without the need for an extra hub. I just set them up using my phone, and they work great. I believe there are door looks that will do this also, just make sure they say "work with Alexa" and don't require an extra hub.

Re: How to choose which Echo to get
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 08:46:27 pm »
no matter where you buy the echo device, go to amazons website, search for the device and make sure the specs say something about working with echo.