Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

New router, now brings Alexa issues

jonjonbear

New router, now brings Alexa issues
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:42:35 am »
Hello all,
I am having issues with my four units. I have two dots and two original echo's. I just updated my router and made no custom settings in it and am having this issue. When I try to play music across the group, it plays fine for a while, then all of them stop. I can then again initiate them to play and they do, for a while then stop.  Another strange thing, I now cannot get them to play separately. I initiated the "stop" command, then express to one unit to play Pandora. It repeats my choice and then announces it's playing to group channel so it's stuck in group play. I have tried unregistering all of them and reregistering, I then took them off the 2.4ghz wifi and put them all on the 5ghz which they are by themselves. I have extremely fast service (300+ down and 20+up)  Router is a brand hew, high end Linksys WRT3200ACM router. I've made no custom settings except some port forwarding for my security camera PC. There is no set time of how long they will play. Sometimes over an hour, sometimes five minutes.  I've also tried initiating the command from each one and get the same thing across all four.  I've been streaming 4K Youtube on my TV without a hitch.
Any idea of what I might be experiencing? I did try switching to Amazon prime music, and same thing so it doesn't seem to be a Pandora issue.
I searched first but didn't find anyone having this same issue.
Thanks so much,
John

Offline jwlv

Re: New router, now brings Alexa issues
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:02:24 pm »
Did you only get a new router or did you change to a new ISP or upgrade to faster speeds?

The Linksys WRT3200ACM is a fine router. There shouldn't be any problems with it.
But like most tech equipment these days, they are outdated even before you take it out the box. I did a quick search and found a new firmware was just released two weeks ago on 10/27/2017. You might want to check if your router has this latest version.
Here's the download page: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=207552

jonjonbear

Re: New router, now brings Alexa issues
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:56:53 pm »
Hello JWlv,
No changes to our service. Same modem, service, speed etc for over a year. When I installed the new router, first thing I did was update the firmware so it's the latest. Searching on the web, I found a forum that pertains to occasional hiccups on the wifi, so they suggested these changes:Optimal settings:

Enable Media Prioritization with Downstream Bandwidth set to 204800
Enable WMM Support (Default)
Wireless 5Ghz Protocol Mixed
Wireless 5Ghz Channel Width Auto or 80Mhz
Wireless 2.4 Protocol "b\g\n Only"
Wireless 2.4Ghz Channel Width Auto or 20Mhz
Both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz Wireless Security "WPA2 Personal" not mixed
The trick is that MP needs to be correctly configured once and then enabled and disabled. After that you can decide if MP is needed. This initializes the QOS system properly.

The only thing I could not do was the "b\g\n only" was not an option but changed the bandwidth and the 2.4ghz channel. The 5 ghz would not let me change, it was grayed out. After I did this, my units seemed to have settled down and didn't cut out. Hopefully this may have fixed it.  Time will tell.