Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus does not replace Hive or Energenie Hubs

geminian

Echo Plus does not replace Hive or Energenie Hubs
« on: November 01, 2017, 04:10:13 am »
I already having 3 Echo devices, a Hive hub to control my Hive heating and Hive lights, and an Energenie hub to control my sockets, I was excited to get the new Echo Plus with built in hub.
Before purchasing this I have had written confirmation from Amazon that the PLUS would replace both of my hubs and that I would not lose any functionality.

After 4 hours of trying to get this in place (2 hours on to Amazon help) it became clear that no one knows what they are doing. What they do not tell you is that you have to unpair the device from the existing hub and then repair it directly with Echo Plus.

I did this with the Hive thermostat and one Hive tuneable bulb. Yes Alexa will control the heating but only from within the home. I cannot turn the heating on when I am away from home any more or even see what the temperature within the home is. Result is a loss of functionality, so Echo Plus doesn't replace my Hive Hub.

The Hive bulb is the same, I can dim or brighten the bulb and take it from hard White to Soft White with the Hive hub, with the Echo Plus I can only have Hard White, again I cannot control this away from home. So again, a loss of functionality.

As for the Energenie sockets, un-pairing them from the hub and putting them into pairing mode the Echo Plus will not find them at all. So a total loss here.

Also, during all this messing around I have now built up a load of devices that I have to disable, why oh why cannot Amazon let the Alexa App FORGET a device.

Conclusion
Amazon have done it again, they have launched a product that is not fit for purpose from the get go. The GUI is basic. There are no instructions as to how to remove your hubs and move the devices over to the Echo Plus, nor do they mention the fact that you can no longer control these devices when away from home.
I'm returning my Echo Plus as not fit for purpose.

Re: Echo Plus does not replace Hive or Energenie Hubs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 04:17:14 am »
amazon said from the start there will be devices that would not work with their hub and this includes anything z-wave.  you will also need the philips hue hub if you want to change colors on their bulbs.  you really need to do your homework these days. 

the following has some pretty good info.  I posted it in another thread but I will also post here. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/amazon-echo-plus-impact,news-25909.html

geminian

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:19:37 am »
Like I said in my post, Amazon have sent me written email confirmation that the Amazon Echo supports these devices directly. Please read again before you admonish me for not doing my research.....

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 07:47:25 am »
From what I read last night, even the HUE bulbs will have basic on/off and dimming functionality through Echo Plus' Hub... That's why they send out the single White bulb with it.

I will stick with my bridge and Harmony Hub as they work fine. If I were to buy a new Echo for any reason other than adding one on, I'd buy the new Echo second Generation model for sound... but even that doesn't entice me much.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:13:15 am »
Like I said in my post, Amazon have sent me written email confirmation that the Amazon Echo supports these devices directly. Please read again before you admonish me for not doing my research.....

If you read the link which I did. You will find the answer to why it won't work remotely. They are partially right that it does work with hive. You probably should have asked about controlling away from home. Also, most customer support don't know what they're doing. Googling on your own is waaay better for you.

geminian

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:57:02 pm »

If you read the link which I did. You will find the answer to why it won't work remotely. They are partially right that it does work with hive. You probably should have asked about controlling away from home. Also, most customer support don't know what they're doing. Googling on your own is waaay better for you.

I tried Googling and didn't get much of anything by way of information. All Amazon lists is bulbs and such like. Other sites offer more info (Toms hardware etc) but still didn't answer my questions.
Thats why I emailed to be sure, they didn't quite answer in full in their first email, I was definately specific when I asked them to clarify whether or not I would lose any functionality to which they answered no. You are probably right when you say most customer support doesn't know much, last nights two hours was a nightmare.

Just thought I would mention in case this little gem is of any help to someone,
Amazon requested I split my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi as they though some devices might be connecting to 2.4 and others to 5. I thought that all smart home devices connected at 2.4Ghz!!

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 03:01:47 pm »

I tried Googling and didn't get much of anything by way of information. All Amazon lists is bulbs and such like. Other sites offer more info (Toms hardware etc) but still didn't answer my questions.
Thats why I emailed to be sure, they didn't quite answer in full in their first email, I was definately specific when I asked them to clarify whether or not I would lose any functionality to which they answered no. You are probably right when you say most customer support doesn't know much, last nights two hours was a nightmare.

Just thought I would mention in case this little gem is of any help to someone,
Amazon requested I split my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi as they though some devices might be connecting to 2.4 and others to 5. I thought that all smart home devices connected at 2.4Ghz!!

Yes it does help. Did you try remotely controlling through hive app though? You may not remotely control it via alexa app but you might on their app or any app that controls zigbee.

I actually just went on Kohl's last night. They have their own amazon store right there. And I saw all their new batch of echos. The guy there said they just had it that day.

Not all Kohl's have that amazon store though. So far in my area, out of many Kohl's stores, that's so far the only 1 that has it.

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 05:09:35 pm »
I don't have anything that requires bridges or hubs.  My 3 smart outlets are hub-free.  So my question is based on NO knowledge of hubs and bridges.  If your setup was working, what enticed you to upgrade to the Echo Plus?

geminian

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:30:54 am »
I don't have anything that requires bridges or hubs.  My 3 smart outlets are hub-free.  So my question is based on NO knowledge of hubs and bridges.  If your setup was working, what enticed you to upgrade to the Echo Plus?

I have a Hive Hub controlling my lights and heating and I have an Energenie Hub controlling my remote sockets. Both of these are plugged into the router directly and it all looks rather messy.
I was hoping to do away with both of the Hubs and have less hassle from the Wife. It was also a great excuse to get an upgrade lol.

Speaking to Amazon Customer Services last night the guy found the email that I was sent by Amazon, he said they had got it totally wrong and couldn't apologise enough. Echo Plus now sent back..........

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 02:54:24 pm »

I have a Hive Hub controlling my lights and heating and I have an Energenie Hub controlling my remote sockets. Both of these are plugged into the router directly and it all looks rather messy.
I was hoping to do away with both of the Hubs and have less hassle from the Wife. It was also a great excuse to get an upgrade lol.

Speaking to Amazon Customer Services last night the guy found the email that I was sent by Amazon, he said they had got it totally wrong and couldn't apologise enough. Echo Plus now sent back..........

Being a tad OCD, I totally understand wanting to clean things up and make it look tidy :)  I subscribe to several tech bulletins and one of them was talking about the Echo Plus last night.  It wasn't a terribly positive title and knowing you had issues, I read the story.  It said that the Echo Plus' hub software was quite basic and semi-useful.  Here is the article if  you're interested.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/01/amazon-echo-plus-review/

jnex26

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 03:23:57 am »
Hate to say this but the Energine miihome does not work on either ZigBee or zwave.. it is a proprietary protocol based upon 427mhz I think

geminian

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 04:53:35 am »

Being a tad OCD, I totally understand wanting to clean things up and make it look tidy :)  I subscribe to several tech bulletins and one of them was talking about the Echo Plus last night.  It wasn't a terribly positive title and knowing you had issues, I read the story.  It said that the Echo Plus' hub software was quite basic and semi-useful.  Here is the article if  you're interested.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/01/amazon-echo-plus-review/

Hi malliekm,
I've read the article and I think you are right.
While this experience was disappointing Amazon are constantly improving so I hold out some hope for future developments....

geminian

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 04:55:40 am »
Hate to say this but the Energine miihome does not work on either ZigBee or zwave.. it is a proprietary protocol based upon 427mhz I think

however it works, it is very reasonably priced when compared to others and as long as you have their hub, it works perfectly with Alexa.