Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo PLus hub for the Dot

Coffee999

Echo PLus hub for the Dot
« on: October 30, 2017, 08:44:16 pm »
When the Echo PLus comes out, will it act as a hub for the Echo Dot to where no other hub is needed for the Dot, and it will have all the voice functionality as the Plus as far as connected devices ? Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:10:25 pm by Coffee999 »

Re: Echo PLus hub for the Dot
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:23:50 am »
the following link has some great info as to what will work with alexa plus and what will not

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/amazon-echo-plus-impact,news-25909.html

in addition there is no difference between the older echos and the plus other than having a hub.  in other words, echo plus can do everything the first generation can do. 

zaphod

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 06:53:56 pm »
the following link has some great info as to what will work with alexa plus and what will not

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/amazon-echo-plus-impact,news-25909.html

in addition there is no difference between the older echos and the plus other than having a hub.  in other words, echo plus can do everything the first generation can do.

fyi there is one subtle difference, we have them both versions. for the original we had purchased an eagletec battery base. i thought i could just swap it over to the new echo+. however once you look at the bottom plates on both versions of the echo it is clear you cannot use the base on the new plus. the original echo had a space cut out in the bottom while the new one is a solid flat plate. related the power adapter plugs into the underside of the original and outside on the echo+. just thought to mention as you can't tell by looking online at stock photos. i haven't read the article you mentioned but will take a look. thanks

emmagirl

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:54 am »
So, I still keep the external hub to use with my Dot?  I ordered the Plus but I want to keep the Dot for my bedroom. 

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:31:29 am »
So, I still keep the external hub to use with my Dot?  I ordered the Plus but I want to keep the Dot for my bedroom.

I would, as the hub will have better functionality than the internal hub from what I am reading from people online
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:20:57 pm »

go back and reread this thread!!!!   the plus and the dot will work together just like the original echo and the dot, or two dots work together.   there is no difference in usage other than one also has a hub. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:30:19 pm »
Maybe Amazon made a mistake by including a built-in Hub with the Echo Plus. I can almost see the support nightmare that's headed their way.