Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Discover Devices

glenharrell

Discover Devices
« on: October 29, 2017, 09:48:25 am »
I have multiple electronic devices hooked up to my echo and usually only experience minor drop off of 1 or 2 devices.  I frequently ask Alexa to "discover devices" the Echo Show responds immediately but the dots usually take 20 seconds after a notice to make sure devices are prepared (Hub, etc).

Yesterday for the first time in almost 2 years echo says she cannot find any "new" devices.  all of mine (including units i have deactivated) all showed up on-line.  I only have 23 active T-Link devices and most of the WeMo are disconnected.  they are all on on the web and apps but Alexa cannot "discover" them.

Anybody else had a change in discovering devices?

I full size echo
Echo Show
4 echo dots
31 devices (WeMo) (T-Link)

Re: Discover Devices
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:32:44 pm »
does the wemo still work?   I know I have one wemo switch that shows disconnected in the alexa app but it still take echo commands.   Its been like it for about a month. 

did you try to forget then discover?

glenharrell

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:05:29 pm »
I bought 10-11 WeMo units over about a year.  It was very frustrating (and expensive) as they seem to always lose connections.  I found a T-Link device that worked great and ended up with about 20 units replacing all the WeMo units.  I "forgot" each WeMo device on the Amazon Echo website.  everything seemed fine until a couple of days ago, when ALL the units showed back up in the device inventory after a year of being forgotten.  To make things more confusing , Alexa now finds "no new devices" when asked to discover devices.  Funny, that they all work (T-Link) fine and i don't have any issues of performance.  Doesn't make sense

glenharrell

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:08:09 pm »
.....and no, i have not "forgot" any of the newly reappeared WeMo devices.  I did change the name on the WeMo app of each one as they now are duplicate i.e.., Bedroom light, corner light, etc), and so far the Alexa website hasn't coordinated with the WeMo app.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 04:17:37 am »
try unplugging the wemo from the outlet, then plug back in.  I forgot I had to do this about 6 months or so ago in order to get the wemo switches to work after an update. 

flev

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:20 am »
try unplugging the wemo from the outlet, then plug back in.  I forgot I had to do this about 6 months or so ago in order to get the wemo switches to work after an update.
I don't have wemo but a few generic plugs, I read your post and tried unpluging and voilą,alexa found it...thanks for posting :)

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:44:41 am »
The ONLY change I have found in Discovering devices, is with the HUE bulbs I don't have to push the button on the bridge for Echo to find the new bulbs. She doesn't even ask any more. I have many duplicate devices due to multiple control skills such as YONOMI and Harmony Hub skills... The Echo sees them as separate items per Skill. If you are running multiple skills that will control the same items... this could be the reason your items are duplicating.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

KavonK

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 08:07:51 am »
Duplicating devices. I also found that ONLY the single bulb devices duplicate.  Anything that has more than one in the group does not duplicate.  A pain in the behind but a temporary fix is to create a group and put that one device in it. You will have to call it a different name but it no longer duplicates. I do believe it has something to do with the groups versus single bulbs.