Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Problem using "Drop In" has loud squealing and echo/reverberating

KateDU

Hi, Whenever we "drop in" on the Echo Dot at my father-in-laws house, the sound just keeps squealing and we hear our voice and his echoing and reverberating loudly, etc.  But if we "drop in" on someone else, this problem does not happen.  What could be wrong with his Echo Dot that is causing this?  It makes it impossible to have a conversation.

Offline jwlv

Re: Problem using "Drop In" has loud squealing and echo/reverberating
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 04:16:34 pm »
Hi, Whenever we "drop in" on the Echo Dot at my father-in-laws house, the sound just keeps squealing and we hear our voice and his echoing and reverberating loudly, etc.  But if we "drop in" on someone else, this problem does not happen.  What could be wrong with his Echo Dot that is causing this?  It makes it impossible to have a conversation.

It could be the placement of the Echo Dot at your inlaws' house. Ideally it should be placed in the center of a room, away from other items and walls. But that's not always feasible. If it's placed on a corner table or nightstand, keep it as far away from the walls as possible. If there are other objects on the same table, move them away from the Echo Dot. You can also raise the Echo Dot higher on a platform so that it is slightly above other objects on the table.

Another option is to get a wall mount. "This Dottie" was made by one of members on this forum (can't remember who). It costs $19.99. I haven't used it so I can't say how good or bad it is. But here's the link to it:
https://www.amazon.com/This-Dottie-Plug-Generation-Accessory/dp/B074NVNNKF

Here's a cheaper knock-off for $13.99:
https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Without-Compact-Kitchens-Bathroom/dp/B0756KRJQP/
This knock-off does not include the power supply. It appears that you must use the one that came with your Echo Dot.