Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Help understanding how an Echo Dot would work with a Bluetooth stereo

dtrachtman

I have a receiver/surround sound system plugged into my TV. The receiver has bluetooth built in and I would like to use it with an Echo Dot but I have some questions about how that would work:

-The receiver input is currently set for TV. If I call up Alexa, will it know to switch the receiver input to bluetooth mode, or will I need to keep the receiver in bluetooth mode and have to switch it back and forth whenever I use the TV?

-Does the receiver need to be left on, or when I call up Alexa is it smart enough to turn on the receiver? If not, that would be a big power draw to have to leave the receiver on 24/7.

thanks

Re: Help understanding how an Echo Dot would work with a Bluetooth stereo
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:42:36 pm »
From the info you supplied, the answer I have is NO... Alexa can't change the input of the Stereo... however... it may be able to once they actually start getting the new Echo Plus on the market. It has a "Hub" built in that may actually do what you are asking for the Dot to do...

Until you have either the new Echo Plus, or a Harmony hub (Or maybe a Samsung Smart things hub) you will be required to switch the input outside the Echo environment, but will be able to pair the Dot to the speaker when it is set to bluetooth. The bluetooth pairing may happen automatically when in bluetooth mode, it may not. It could require a voice command or even a computer or phone app to connect.

I use a Logitech Harmony Hub to control my audio video through Echo. It allows me to just ask it to connect to bluetooth sound bar and then I can play music or use the sound bar to audibly give me feedback from the Dot at Sound bar levels... whatever they are at the time (It's usually really loud and unbearable to work with the Dot through the sound bar).

If you can stand it for a few days or weeks, until the Echo Plus comes out, you may be able to upgrade to it selling your dot and buying the new model, albeit more expensive... But we are none sure what the complete functionality is available through it yet... Also, for less money, you can go on Best Buy.com and buy a Harmony hub for 89.99, and they will give you a penny back and they will throw in a Dot so you could have one in another room as well if you choose well in their Harmony listings. (See Link below for the Best buy listings)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=Harmony+Hub&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 03:41:32 am »
I have a receiver/surround sound system plugged into my TV. The receiver has bluetooth built in and I would like to use it with an Echo Dot but I have some questions about how that would work:

-The receiver input is currently set for TV. If I call up Alexa, will it know to switch the receiver input to bluetooth mode, or will I need to keep the receiver in bluetooth mode and have to switch it back and forth whenever I use the TV?

-Does the receiver need to be left on, or when I call up Alexa is it smart enough to turn on the receiver? If not, that would be a big power draw to have to leave the receiver on 24/7.

thanks

All you have to do is turn on BT on your receiver. How it works is - once you paired your echo to your BT device, it will automatically pair once you turn on your BT device. However, it might pair automatically, but it won't work right it's a hit or miss lately. Like in my case I have to turn on/off BT on my device so I can hear sound again.

The receiver does not need to be left on. Once you turn it off, echo will unpair. And it will let you know, LOL. You will hear a chime.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:50:45 am by asianrocker »

dtrachtman

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:49:56 pm »
Thanks you both! But it sounds like I would need to manually turn on my bluetooth receiver every time I want to use the Echo?

jeffberryhill

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 10:46:55 am »
Yes you would have to turn on your BT receiver every time BUT when you say it's a huge power draw would be incorrect. If it is just sitting there idle you are talking about paying pennies a month for stand by power and if you are actually using it then you are talking just a few dimes a month.

These external BT speakers use very little power...

JB

dtrachtman

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 11:15:29 am »
got it, thanks. I researched it and the average receiver when on uses 60watts of electricity. If I leave it on 24/7 so Alexa is easy to access, that translates to about $5/mo. Just doesnt seem worth it.