Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Cell Number

mootcat

Cell Number
« on: October 24, 2017, 10:29:52 am »
Yesterday I helped a computer illiterate friend set up her echo dot.
She has no cell phone so I used mine to set her up.
I also used my cell number on her account so now she is tied to my contact list and all though I told her not to try to make any calls I think she already did.

My question is can I delete my number from her account now that it is set up?
Also if she ends up getting a cell phone where and how do I update the number?
One more thing.... can she make calls by saying alexa call 555 555 5555 if so can she do this if the account is not linked to a cell phone?
Thanks in advance
Mootcat

Re: Cell Number
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 03:49:27 pm »
did you use the number to create an amazon account or to enable amazon calling?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 03:49:48 pm »
I think the way to remove your cell number is to factory reset the Echo, delete the Alexa app from your phone, then set it up again.  When you set it up again, the app will ask for permission to read your contacts. Do not give permission and continue setup.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:10:13 pm »
Why do you people do this. You need to regard your echo like your bank or your phone bills.

The reason why I never try the ha bridge installation yet is coz of security concerns. You guys need to watch that Mr robot epi where they were able to hack into the home automation. It's very real.

In fact why I didn't install that calling feature especially almost everyday now my Alexa just blurts out - to make calls setup first... It just did again today.

So ya I am paranoid some one was trying to use call feature on my echo but oh well sucks to be them I will never install it.

You are not very wise to do it. If you pay more phone bills this month blame your self.

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:58:56 pm »
You know, the OP was probably embarrassed enough to have to ask for help for what he did.  I don't understand why some people have to be so hateful/angry with some of their replies.  Sad.

mootcat

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:04:33 pm »

Both because she does not have a cell phone

mootcat

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 01:07:57 pm »
I think the way to remove your cell number is to factory reset the Echo, delete the Alexa app from your phone, then set it up again.  When you set it up again, the app will ask for permission to read your contacts. Do not give permission and continue setup.

That seems very unlikely to me.... There should be a way to change or remove in settings some where I would think

mootcat

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »
Why do you people do this. You need to regard your echo like your bank or your phone bills.

The reason why I never try the ha bridge installation yet is coz of security concerns. You guys need to watch that Mr robot epi where they were able to hack into the home automation. It's very real.

In fact why I didn't install that calling feature especially almost everyday now my Alexa just blurts out - to make calls setup first... It just did again today.

So ya I am paranoid some one was trying to use call feature on my echo but oh well sucks to be them I will never install it.

You are not very wise to do it. If you pay more phone bills this month blame your self.

This woman has been a friend of mine for years and when we picked up the echo dot at Staples we were told it would stand alone which obviously it does not. I did not ask for any ones opinions on how wise or unwise I am when I try to help people whom are friends of mine. I guess you don't know the answer but are just one of those people who have nothing better to do than to sit around on boards insulting people.

StevenR

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 01:22:56 pm »
I believe the mobile phone number gets associated with the Amazon account rather than the device. Ask then to try the following to try to remove it from their account:

1) Logon to their Amazon account in a web browser
2) Click on Your Account
3) Click on Login and Security
4) Click on Edit next to Mobile Phone Number
5) Click on the Delete link next to the mobile phone number on that page.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 06:00:34 pm »

Both because she does not have a cell phone

You do not need a cell phone for an amazon account.  just for the call feature. 
the easiest way is to start from scratch with a completely different account.  if she has a pc, then use it to create an account using an email address.  reset the dot to factory.  do not setup the call feature.  however, if she wants the call feature, use a google voice number.  its free.  I have a smartphone but when I set up the call feature, I used a google voice number. 

asianrocker

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 04:02:20 am »

This woman has been a friend of mine for years and when we picked up the echo dot at Staples we were told it would stand alone which obviously it does not. I did not ask for any ones opinions on how wise or unwise I am when I try to help people whom are friends of mine. I guess you don't know the answer but are just one of those people who have nothing better to do than to sit around on boards insulting people.

Excuse you? I am actually giving you good advice not only you but anyone who reads this. And actually they are right that the dot can be a stand alone. You're the one who does not know what you are doing. If you do, you won't even setup HER dot in YOUR phone especially for the call feature. Wow.

And FYI, I know everything. Google is my BFF, LOL.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:20:39 am by asianrocker »