Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Setting up device location correctly

gbeckwith

Setting up device location correctly
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:37:31 pm »
I live in Japan and the system will not support my device location.  When I enter my address I get a message telling me to enter my address correctly.  I have been unable to locate any documentation that specifies what "correctly" actually is.  The Device Time Zone is set for Asia and Japan Standard Time.

Thanks.

Chris

Re: Setting up device location correctly
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:49:19 am »
You cannot use your location as the product has not been officially released in your area.
I am using it in South Africa. Weather, for instance, I have to say " weather in Cape Town ".
Google Home, although not officially released in South Africa, is pretty adept at handling all local information.
Amazon is leaving the market wide open to google. They could have sold it worldwide by simply stating that it may not be fully functional at your location. I had to do fancy footwork even downloading the app for IOS!

Jerome

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 04:34:35 am »
You cannot use your location as the product has not been officially released in your area.
I am using it in South Africa. Weather, for instance, I have to say " weather in Cape Town ".
Google Home, although not officially released in South Africa, is pretty adept at handling all local information.
Amazon is leaving the market wide open to google. They could have sold it worldwide by simply stating that it may not be fully functional at your location. I had to do fancy footwork even downloading the app for IOS!
+1
Here in France Google launched their Home in French early August.
Still no sign of Alexa for the French market though : Amazon is going to be very late to the party in France when they (someday) eventually launch Echo.
I guess they don't want to spoil the user experience by launching a device that does not support French language but some people would be ready to buy it nonetheless and talk to it in one of the supported languages.
Instead we have to find workarounds to import it from the UK for instance (like myself) and deal with the location tricks like you mentioned for the weather forecast...

Chris

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:45:39 am »
Yep. Google does issue a little advisory when you set it up that it may not be fully functional in your area.
Amazon seems to be bull headed on this.
I can imagine that the Aussies should be quite pissed off that they are also sucking on Amazon ' s hind tit, after Germany! Amazon-- they actually speak English in Australia!

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 05:11:41 am »
Amazon-- they actually speak English in Australia!
 ;D