Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

New Echo Show Doesn't Respond to Wake word

kendoori

New Echo Show Doesn't Respond to Wake word
« on: October 14, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »
I have gifted an Echo Show to my father in law. It is properly registered on the network and updated; however, it doesn't respond to voice commands. He is a good english language speaker and the device is in the same room. I had him power down and power up the device, and when he says Alexa, it does nothing. Unfortunately, we are NOT in the same location.

BTW, I can see him in my Alexa app on my phone and he can see me in his contact list.

I contacted Amazon support via chat, and here's what they said:

I  have checked and found that the device isn't updated to the latest software.
You will need to download the latest software update.
1. Make sure your Alexa device is on and has an active Wi-Fi connection.
2. Avoid saying anything to the Alexa device for at least 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes (or more), the light ring on your Alexa device spins blue and installs the latest update. Depending on your Wi-Fi connection, it can take up to ten minutes to install the software update on your device.

It's odd that after an initial setup, whereby it said that it was updating firmware and optimizing, that it still had out of date software...

Assuming, the software update does nothing, what are next steps here? Keep in mind that my father-in-law is 200 miles away and also 87 years old.

Re: New Echo Show Doesn't Respond to Wake word
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 03:03:08 pm »
my first thought is using the wrong wakeup word. as far as updating after initial setup, that is normal. 

kendoori

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 03:18:39 pm »
my first thought is using the wrong wakeup word. as far as updating after initial setup, that is normal.

I heard him say "Alexa." If he didn't specifically change the wake word, why would it have been different?

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 05:00:37 pm »

I heard him say "Alexa." If he didn't specifically change the wake word, why would it have been different?

you should still check

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 05:47:43 pm »
Does he have a neighbor that can help him send it back to Amazon for an exchange?