Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Switch fr 35 mm stereo cable to Echo's Internal Speaker w/voice Commands?

Quadzilla

Hi All,
If i were to use a 3.5 mm stereo cable to connect my 2nd gen. Echo Dot to my av receiver, can i give a voice command to have sound sent back through the Dot's built-in speaker w/out unplugging the cable? I only want sound directed to my AV receiver occasionally, when I'm playing music from Pandora for example. Otherwise, I'd rather have Alexis voice, reminders and alarms etc. sent through the internal speaker. I thought I read on a forum that there was a voice command to do that but now I'm getting conflicting stories. Please let me know, thanks!

Offline jwlv

Re: Switch fr 35 mm stereo cable to Echo's Internal Speaker w/voice Commands?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »
When using an external speaker, it's all or nothing. You cannot switch between the internal speaker and the external speaker unless you unplug the cable. And you cannot direct what kind of audio (music, voice, etc.) goes to which speaker.
If you are using an external Bluetooth speaker, you can switch to the internal speaker by turning Bluetooth off.

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 03:28:13 pm »
Solution is to unplug aux when you're done listening to music. I know how so very cave man.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 03:44:19 pm »
I have a Dot dedicated (audio plugged into an AUX input of my Stereo) because of the reasons above.  So, Dot is otherwise "useless".  Dots are relatively cheap when on sale, so it's not a big issue for me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:24:10 pm by mike27oct »

garyyoung

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 04:35:28 pm »
One alternative -- get a cheap Bluetooth speaker for non-music applications. When listening to music, tell the dot to disconnect and the music will play on your stereo. When done listening to music, tell the dot to connect to the Bluetooth speaker. I'd look for a Bluetooth speaker that can play when the charging cable is connected.