Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

multi-step routines

multi-step routines
« on: September 28, 2017, 05:38:16 am »
look like there will soon be multi-step routines for the echo. 

In a demonstration, Amazon device VIP Dave Limp said “Alexa, good morning,” which triggered a sequence of events in the faux-home setting that Amazon set up in its headquarters for the event. First, the lights came on in the demonstration room. Then, a smart window shade rolled up, and Alexa began reading the news. Finally, a teakettle began to boil water.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/16375050/alexa-routines-echo-amazon-2017

Re: multi-step routines
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 07:47:35 am »
With a hub or two, you can do that NOW...  8)
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

coyote

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 07:47:49 pm »
One blue Ring to rule them all, one blue Ring to bind them....

smeg

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 08:07:04 pm »
Is the "AND" operator really that difficult to implement in this type of environment? I am surprised that at this point in development I cant say "Alexa, turn off the kitchen AND the porch" or even "Alexa, turn off the kitchen AND turn off the porch".

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:22:12 pm »
I still think (I  mentioned this a while back) that these new features are rolled out a little at a time to keep things interesting for the consumer rather than offer EVERYthing at once.  People will get bored with the device.  This way we're always looking for something new/fresh and improved.  There's little doubt in my mind that all these things that people say "how hard could it be to..." are totally doable.  They just find it better for business to dole it out a little at a time.  I can understand that.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 04:12:36 am »
Is the "AND" operator really that difficult to implement in this type of environment? I am surprised that at this point in development I cant say "Alexa, turn off the kitchen AND the porch" or even "Alexa, turn off the kitchen AND turn off the porch".

but you can create groups in order to turn off both the kitchen and porch.  the problem is telling it to turn on the kitchen and turn off the porch at the same time.   that is why I am hoping the muti step routine will fix that problem.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 07:29:17 am »
I still think (I  mentioned this a while back) that these new features are rolled out a little at a time to keep things interesting for the consumer rather than offer EVERYthing at once.  People will get bored with the device.  This way we're always looking for something new/fresh and improved.  There's little doubt in my mind that all these things that people say "how hard could it be to..." are totally doable.  They just find it better for business to dole it out a little at a time.  I can understand that.

The same way Facebook does things... constant *perceived* improvement.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!