Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Linking your Apple Calendar to Alexa

Christopher Dittmann

Linking your Apple Calendar to Alexa
« on: September 04, 2017, 02:06:56 pm »
 ::)  Trying to link Alexa to your iPhone/iPad calendar?  Great idea, but a bit complicated.  That's not Alexa's fault.  Rather, it's a byproduct of how Apple prefers to do business.  Here are some steps that might save you some aggravation: 

1.  The first thing you need is your Apple ID and password.  Have you forgotten it?  Of course you have!  Whoever uses the damn thing?  Touch ID?  Not an option here.  So first, make sure you can log in to your Apple account.  You will need to do this to obtain an "App Specific Pass Code".  More on this down the road. 

2.  If you need to reset your Apple password, do it using the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.  DO NOT USE apple.com TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!  Doing so generates an "Account Recovery Request".  Apple freely admits that it will take them at least an hour to send you instructions on how to go about changing your password.  At least.  I tried it three hours ago, and I'm still waiting.  Fortunately, there is a solution.  You can change your password immediately by doing so through the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.  Tap your account, select Password & Security, then "forgot Apple ID or Password" ...

Now, take a pill.  If you have a sedative or some such thing, keep it handy.  You may need it.  If you happen to have a Valium or two, come sit next to me.  Once you've navigated your way through changing your password -- not at all difficult if you do it through your device rather than PC -- you will need to get an app specific pass code. 

If you Google this, you will drop into a discussion fraught with confusion.  Only one post, the very first in the queue to date, has helpful information: 

Go to appleid.apple.com.  HERE is where you will now need to log in to your Apple account using the new password you may have just created (or your old password if you happen to be one of those snappy, young people who easily recalls 34 passwords without hesitation and remembered your Apple password.) 

Once you log in, open the menu icon on the upper left corner and select Security->Generate App Specific Pass Code.  You're on your way!  You will be asked to assign a label for the code.  It can be anything.  The point is, these codes can only be used once and in a specific application context.  Once used, they are worthless to anyone who might acquire them.  Even unused, they cannot be ported to a different device or location, so again, they're worthless to a thief or hacker.  Not a bad idea, but a real pain in the a** if you're feeling time-stressed and want to get this done quickly. 

When you go to Settings->Calendar in your Alexa app, tap Apple calendar, and begin the link process, you will need to plug in the app specific code you just generated on appleid.apple.com.  Once you enter the code, Alexa does the rest in double-quick time, and you're all set. 

Now aren't you glad you kept that sedative handy? 

Want to link your Outlook/Microsoft 365 Calendars too?  Don't have a cow.  It's one hundred percent easier than the Apple link procedure.  Simply tap the option in Alexa's Settings->Calendar for Microsoft, enter your login info if prompted, and it's done. 

Laurel

Re: Linking your Apple Calendar to Alexa
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 02:16:46 pm »
Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I have saved it to a file for future reference as I can't remember 3 passwords let alone 34 lol.  Very helpful post.

Re: Linking your Apple Calendar to Alexa
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 05:49:15 pm »
Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I have saved it to a file for future reference as I can't remember 3 passwords let alone 34 lol.  Very helpful post.

same here, that is why I use a password manager