Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

sms messaging

sms messaging
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »
according to reports, alexa will be adding the ability to send sms messages to everyone, not just those with alexas or apps installed.  Wonder if this means calling to landlines and mobile phones will be coming soon too

from techcrunch

Amazon appears to be planning an expansion of Alexa’s existing messaging capabilities to support sending SMS text messages to friends using your Echo device or Alexa app. That means Echo users could then text anyone using voice commands, not only other Echo owners.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/30/echos-messaging-service-may-soon-support-sms-texts-from-your-own-alexa-number/

mike27oct

Re: sms messaging
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:20:10 pm »
How hard is it to just pull out phone and send a text/eMessage?  I usueally send these via voice vs typing, anyway.

A side comment on Google Home phone calls:  They are not duplex (meaning talking and listening at same time so one's comments do not void out the other's comments).  A major disadvantage from phone calls.  Hope Alexa is duplex calling, although I think it's phone calls currently are not duplex either.

In the rush to make calls from AI gadgets something important is being overlooked.

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:56 am »
Mike, I haven't done it too many times but there are times I want to text someone and my phone isn't in the same room.  I say, "Alexa, ask Mastermind to send David a text".

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:09:33 am »
Yep, a good reason since I have one phone, 4 Dots and an Echo. So, if phone not in pocket. . . .