Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa working with wifi fault

Foxy

Alexa working with wifi fault
« on: August 29, 2017, 04:59:37 am »
I'm just intrigued, I was having a problem with EE fibre this morning. No devices could connect to the internet. Spoke to EE and they confirmed it was a general outage problem. However at that time with nothing else in the house active I could still get Alexa to play music, read the flash briefing etc. Yet she is connected to the same wifi that was 'out'. How is this possible?

Re: Alexa working with wifi fault
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:56:40 am »
did they say exactly why the internet was down?  it could make a difference.

StevenR

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 08:23:54 am »
The issue with EE appears to have been with their DNS servers. I think the Echo devices may use the Google DNS server (8.8.8.8) by default and so these would not be affected (unless you use the advanced WiFi settings and change the DNS).

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:46:54 pm »
Obviously, the OP did have internet service if Alexa worked.  Why other devices did not work  is a mystery that may be explained by other replies.

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:41:03 pm »
I'm just intrigued, I was having a problem with EE fibre this morning. No devices could connect to the internet. Spoke to EE and they confirmed it was a general outage problem. However at that time with nothing else in the house active I could still get Alexa to play music, read the flash briefing etc. Yet she is connected to the same wifi that was 'out'. How is this possible?

Who knows with this tech gadgets and computers. And if I were you I won't be complaining coz you seem to have the rare super alexa. LOL.