Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

reading email

reading email
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:18:12 pm »
the other day I was looking for an email utililty that will work on my linux computer that is similar to blue mail.  I ran across one called newton.  found it had an alexa skill that can read and delete your email using alexa.   It worked pretty good after installing the app and activating the alexa skill.   I had it setup so alexa could read all of my emails from three different email accounts  only one problem.  It was 50 bucks a year.

found another app called Trove and it was free.  the difference is, it can read, delete and reply to emails.  I had alexa read all of my emails from four different accounts and replied to a couple then delete them.   It was fun  :-)  its a bit buggy.

anyone use another alexa skill to read your emails.  do you have any comments about the ones I mentioned, any issues you may have if you used them?

--------

the above is generally a repeat of another post that was declared off topic and moved then deleted. just has a bit more detail and not as poorly written as the other. 

asianrocker

Re: reading email
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:28:18 pm »
LOL. Replying to you coz I feel your pain.  ;D About your post being deleted. Really not obsessed with email but I did check out trove and search for it in my alexa app. So if you really don't know yet there actually are a lot like trove on alexa skill. So take your pick.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 05:44:10 pm »
LOL. Replying to you coz I feel your pain.  ;D About your post being deleted. Really not obsessed with email but I did check out trove and search for it in my alexa app. So if you really don't know yet there actually are a lot like trove on alexa skill. So take your pick.

Actually I did not know - I really do not use skills unless it applies to some smarthome device and its needed  :-)  I guess I need to browse the skills list to see whats available.   I could have had alexa reading emails for a while now  :-(

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:48:04 pm »
I had created a windows program that would read emails (TTS) and send emails triggered y home automaton events Long before Alexa. It is conservable there would be several skills that could do the same though I too haven't looked into the skills to much. :(

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 11:41:05 pm »
I don't get near the email I used to.  In fact very little of it is of the nature that I would need/want an Alexa skill.  Text messaging has taken the place of personal emails.  Mastermind will read your notifications (that includes emails) and text messages, Instagram, FB, Twitter and much much more!
https://mastermindbot.com/2017/02/18/mastermind-skill-full-description/

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 01:07:33 am »
My three email accounts are managed in my tablets where I can easily read them and respond when I am ready. I started using email at the very dawn of PCs (anyone ever hear of MCI (e)Mail?) and email is still my preferred way of written communication. texting is for real short msgs and I mean SHORT, and not too many of them one after the other, either.  Drives me nuts to get texts that do a great job of interrupting what I am doing!  Having Alexa read me my mail would also drive me nuts.  I am already real tired of hearing AI voices!

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 04:55:10 am »
back to the drawling board with the two apps/skills I mentioned.  they are not that reliable.  Just too many bugs - I guess the technology is still too new.