Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to Customize Echo Show Home Screen

petejohnson

How to Customize Echo Show Home Screen
« on: June 30, 2017, 01:54:25 pm »
Is it possible to turn off the cycling hints, promotions and news flashes on the Echo Show home screen? I'd like to see just the time, temperature and background photo.

Laurel

Re: How to Customize Echo Show Home Screen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:12:21 pm »
I haven't tried this yet, but the help and feedback section says:
Swipe down from the top of the Echo Show screen and select settings.
Select Home Screen.
Select Home Card Preferences.
Toggle the icon next to the card name.

petejohnson

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »
Thanks. That gets me part of the way to my goal. I turned off all the feeds for the Home Card but I still get one hint that won't go away.

I'd also like to see the date on the home screen.

The Amazon messages -- even the hints and news items -- feel intrusive, like advertising. They also obscure the nice photos I've set up as Home Card backgrounds.

I hope a future update gives us flexibility for the Home Card format.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 04:16:47 pm »
Have you called Amazon tech support?  I always prefer finding answers other than using ts but this product is so new, your searches will be limited.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 11:18:41 pm »
>>>  The Amazon messages -- even the hints and news items -- feel intrusive, like advertising.

Exactly.  You did not know that all the Alexa devices are sold below cost so Amazon can get them in as many homes as they can so they can sell the owner something else each and every day?

I am not being cynical; it's the truth as related by many marketing experts when the Echos first arrived.  Now that Amazon has a visual screen they can display products on, it will get even wilder.
You just brought an online "saleman" into your home; enjoy the constant sales pitches.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 03:06:38 pm »
>>>  The Amazon messages -- even the hints and news items -- feel intrusive, like advertising.

Exactly.  You did not know that all the Alexa devices are sold below cost so Amazon can get them in as many homes as they can so they can sell the owner something else each and every day?

I am not being cynical; it's the truth as related by many marketing experts when the Echos first arrived.  Now that Amazon has a visual screen they can display products on, it will get even wilder.
You just brought an online "saleman" into your home; enjoy the constant sales pitches.

and that right there could be cause for a lawsuit since no where in their web page does it say it will be used for promotional material or ads. 

k9kids

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 03:48:13 pm »
Lawsuit for what?

That's hilarious.  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 03:59:50 pm »
Lawsuit for what?

That's hilarious.  ;D ;D ;D

deceptive advertising.