Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo gains room-to-room intercom feature

AlanH

Echo gains room-to-room intercom feature
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:53:23 am »
A software update rolling out this week will allow households with multiple Echos to use them as intercoms.
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/27/amazon-echo-intercom-feature-update/

k9kids

Re: Echo gains room-to-room intercom feature
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:11:24 am »
Just the start of more connected features.

fstbusa

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 08:21:03 am »
awesome!!!  Been waiting for this feature.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:07:01 am »
I think this will be more used then the calling.
At least it will be here.
I can't wait to try this add. ;)

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:00:14 am »
anyone know how it actually works once its enabled as I am struggling to find any instructions online - what steps and commands do you use (via another Echo and the app which I think you can also use).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:55:27 am by Beetle-Snake »

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 11:43:36 am »
anyone know how it actually works once its enabled as I am struggling to find any instructions online - what steps and commands do you use (via another Echo and the app which I think you can also use).

finally found some specific 'instructions' on the Daily Mail site of all places although I cant try it out until I get home tonight and I am still not sure how to do it through the app yet but within the same house it's a simple case of just saying 'Alexa call the sitting room' or 'Alexa drop in on the bedroom'.

k9kids

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:00:32 pm »
If you've got multiple Amazon Echo devices throughout your home, you'll soon be able to use them as a connected intercom. Amazon just launched the feature today across the original Echo, Echo Dot and its new screen-toting Echo Show. We heard last month that the intercom capability was in the works, and it seemed like a given once Amazon brought hands-free calling and messaging across the Echo family. The company is rolling out the feature over the next few days, but be sure to update your Alexa app to access it.

We haven't had a chance to test out the intercom feature yet, but it seems pretty straightforward. You just have to name your Echo devices by room and enable the "drop-in" feature in the Alexa App. After that, you can tell Alexa to call or drop in to a specific Echo device. Even better, you can also use the intercom feature when you're away from home through the Alexa app.

While the idea of a home intercom might seem a bit antiquated in our hyperconnected lives, it makes sense for the Echo devices. Many Echo owners end up buying multiple devices, and it's not that difficult for Amazon to add room-to-room communication. And, most importantly, it cements the Echo family as something essential to your daily life.

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 12:38:58 pm »
This is exciting! I have updated the app, renamed all the echo dots to include only the room that they are in, and the drop-in feature was already on by default.

Tried using the feature and it "calls" the room but I have no idea how to answer it or if it's actually the intercom feature. Has anybody found how to answer a room-to-room call? If all you have to do is talk then it's not working yet... tried that.

Come on Google Home it's time to step up your game and roll out that calling feature to any phone in the u.s. and Canada... And don't forget our buddies across the pond  :)

AlanH

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 12:43:04 pm »
"Buddies across the pond".  :) For us, patience is a virtue.

malliekm

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 12:49:26 pm »
And what exactly does this mean...

The new feature increases the number of Echo devices customers have installed in their homes.

I still only have three Dots  :o

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 01:13:04 pm »
Just as a test I told Alexa to make a call. She answered by asking,  "which device or contact do you want to call?". So it sounds like the intercom feature is working, yes?  I just don't know how to answer it!  Guess I'll break down and call technical support (sigh).
I'm feeling really stupid right about now :(

k9kids

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 01:22:15 pm »
I said, Amazon... answer.

I was then connected.

So just use the wake word and then answer.

Doesn't work on a Tap though. Even if you enable hands free.

malliekm

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 01:55:56 pm »
Well duh! :-[
Just sat down to call technical support and thought I would check here first.
Yep I'm an idiot LOL
Thank you k9kids.

coyote

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 01:57:44 pm »
When Google Home rolled out last year, some folks postulated that it would very quickly catch up to, and then surpass, Alexa. They cited the vast knowledge base built by google over the past decade, along with google's constant work (some stumbles, but lots of success) in such fields as machine intelligence etc.

That's all fine if you want to have a conversation with your device.

But Amazon, despite some stumbles of its own in the past, is very good at one thing: getting you why you want.
And Amazon has correctly identified the smart home as a mostly untapped field. Not that there haven't been plenty of players and plenty of products, but there hasn't been a unifier.

Alexa is that unifier.... and Amazon is correctly hitting the mark in making Alexa, via its Echo device framework, a better smart home unifier as time goes on. Google will clearly be playing catch-up for many years if things keep going this way, and Apple's product - with its severely limited functionality and exorbitant price tag - might never really make it out of the starting blocks. Meanwhile, those $50 Dots will continue to fly off the shelves.