Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show reviews

AlanH

Echo Show reviews
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »
Ahead of the launch on Wednesday, MacRumors has a story with links to reviews.
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/26/amazon-echo-show-reviews/
There's also a video review in the story detailing the key features of Echo Show.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:20:20 pm by AlanH »

malliekm

Re: Echo Show reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:51:56 pm »
It's still not doing anything for me.  It's too stationary for today's "mobile" society.  I can walk from room to room with my phone or tablet if I want to do video calling.  I've got a tv in the kitchen and my Samsung tablet if I so desire.  With 3 Dots and 2 GHs that can hear me from any room in the house, a Show, at any cost, is redundant for my needs/wants.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 03:18:49 pm »
I wouldn't mind having one, but I'm in no rush to replace my three current Echos.  I'm just not wild about a screen that stays in one spot for the most part, as has already been stated.  Maybe if my regular Echo craps out.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 05:09:56 pm »
I guess it would be okay for security when you can just tell it to show your security video and maybe for elderly or disable but for general usage I don't think it would be worth it at this point. 

seven inch screen is small for video calls.  I think I would rather have the alexa video software on my tablet or phone.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 06:48:48 pm »
I like the Echo Show. I would get one (or two) if the price was closer to $100.

Laurel

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 07:12:50 pm »
I have two on order.  I have read three new reviews today.  I will report back with my impressions next week.  I am in Vancouver, BC so some features won't work, but the in house intercom sounds great and the recipe viewing as well. And the music sound is supposed to be the best yet.

AlanH

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 11:36:01 am »

mtr

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:17:07 pm »
I just purchased two Echo Shows.  I intend to have one in my home and the other in my father's home, for video calls and potentially for "drop in" safety checks.  I quickly determined that my phone's OS was too old for the Alexa app and have ordered a new phone.  My problem is that my Dad's phone is also old.  I don't really want to get him a new phone because he is familiar with the one he has, and a new one would confuse him.  The Alexa app, likewise, will not be useful to him because he does not use his apps and will forget about it. I am worried that I won't be able to set his Echo Show up for him to use with me.  I can't find a way to load contacts into it.  The customer service folks don't seem to have a good solution.  Please help!

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:57:39 pm »
I can't really help you, although I am sure someone here can.  Meanwhile, don't allow the Echo Support 1st Level help blow you off.  Call back and get transferred to Level 2, and if they can't help, then go to next level.

Your dilemma makes clear that old tech and new tech do not always meld well.

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 07:05:50 pm »
I feel  your pain dealing with your aging father and technology.   I deal with the same thing.  Dad just doesn't want anything to do with it anymore but mom tries.  It's confusing to her and the last thing I want to do is cause her stress but she is determined to try.  It took her awhile to get used to her S5.  I guess she's "used" to it now but she rarely uses anything but the camera, texting and calling.  I just configured both of their Dots for calling and messaging and intercom use.  Dad has a flip phone that hasn't seen the light of day since the day he bought it LOL  He likes to brag about how long his battery lasts (g)  As  for your predicament, I don't see how it's going to work without getting dad a phone that will support it.  Mike's right, don't let tier 1 Amazon tech support blow you off.  Insist your question be escalated to a higher support level.  Also, on the Amazon site it's self, there is a Echo device forum.