Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Cheap price on Smart receptacle...

Cheap price on Smart receptacle...
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:59:48 pm »
I watch a few Deal-a-day sites and this one just hit my radar... These are on a site called Yugster.com, they have many deals, but this one is the one a lot of you might like... less than 20 bucks a pop for smart outlets... Just sharing a deal that may be useful to some... https://www.yugster.com/deals/77042-1-2-3-or-4-pack-ora-smart-plug-wi-fi-outlet-to-control-your-devices-from-anywhere-works-with-amazon-echo-smartphone-apps
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

Re: Cheap price on Smart receptacle...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:17:55 pm »
A word of caution on these low-priced smart plugs. While many of them work just fine with Amazon Echo/Alexa, many of them do not work (or have no information) on Google Home, IFTTT, SmartThings, Harmony Hub, etc.

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 06:22:52 pm »
I'll be interested to hear how they work.  I stay clear of no-name/low named merchandise in most cases.  You get what you pay for.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 06:34:27 pm »
It may be a great deal and it could be a quality product, but after getting burned by tcp connected, I will no longer purchase any smart devices from unknown sites or companies. 

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 07:52:06 pm »
I sometimes will chance a product from an unknown however no feed back throws a red flag for me.
It is nice if companies have a forum of sorts where one can get help or opinions from regular users.

I picked up a few itead sonoff modules which are even cheaper. Their software is crap but you can flash the firmware (which I did) with something better. ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:00 pm »
I sometimes will chance a product from an unknown however no feed back throws a red flag for me.
It is nice if companies have a forum of sorts where one can get help or opinions from regular users.

I picked up a few itead sonoff modules which are even cheaper. Their software is crap but you can flash the firmware (which I did) with something better. ;)

Is there a Tutorial on Flashing the Firmware somewhere? Sounds involved for the novice.

I understand the naysaying... But I figured some like cheap stuff to try out... and these may be awesome once in use... I don't have anything I would use a Smart outlet for yet... Most things I use are things I want more control over and a Smart outlet just has on/off functionality and maybe some timers or scheduling... I WANT MORE!!!!  LOL

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 10:39:32 pm »
I once felt that way about smart plugs until I got one.  Game over.  They are quite handy.

k9kids

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:02 am »
I once felt that way about smart plugs until I got one.  Game over.  They are quite handy.

I love the Insteon 2663-222 On/Off Outlets. You can independently control the upper and lower outlets.

I control two different lamps in the family room.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:58 am »

Is there a Tutorial on Flashing the Firmware somewhere? Sounds involved for the novice.

I understand the naysaying... But I figured some like cheap stuff to try out... and these may be awesome once in use... I don't have anything I would use a Smart outlet for yet... Most things I use are things I want more control over and a Smart outlet just has on/off functionality and maybe some timers or scheduling... I WANT MORE!!!!  LOL
There are tutorials posted on the net for flashing the ESP826 Wi-Fi chip which is used, there are even videos. The forum on the itead.cc site has a few links if you can find them. I flashed with the firmware which allows intergration with smarthings though I don't have a smartthings hub.
the process sounds complicated but it really isn't.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-sonoff-sonoff-th-s20-dual-4ch-touch-device-handler-smartapp-5-10-smart-switches/45957
I read the whole write up a couple of times before attempting as you do need to pick up a flashing tool (off ebay their cheep)

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 08:04:04 am »
Thanks, Tuicemen. Still outside my expertise and Give-a-hoot departments... I read it... I understand it... I just am not driven to do that stuff right now. Too many other things occupy my active times... I did identify a couple of places for the Smart receptacles yesterday... I'm getting ready (slowly) to set up a dot in my kitchen/den area and there are a couple of lamps with 3 way switches in them... no one ever uses the lower settings and the bulbs are down to working only on (high), so I'm going to just buy cheaper LED's to put in them and see if we can get them to operate and if they do, I'll go with the receptacles on that wall to control the lights. The In-Laws are kind of resistive to the toys... but they'll get used to it...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 08:24:06 am »
Understood, I too didn't wish to go this route however itead refused to add a local control option to their app.
Also Alexa control was slow to be implemented.
I picked up a couple of their low voltage modules for control of some DC things.
Wired on into a solar tracker so I can park my solar array when the wind gets up.
So I now have Alexa control of my solar tracker. ;)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 02:31:06 am »
If you want a really cheap Alexa compatible smart plug, look at this one:
https://www.zapals.com/smart-remote-control-wifi-plug-socket-with-timing-function.html

It is $9.99 with free shipping (and probably no tax).
BTW, I am not recommending this. In fact, I would not buy this. If you do buy it, let us know how it works. Personally, I like to stick with well-known name brands like Netgear or Belkin.

Zapals is based in Australia, China and Hong Kong.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:35:56 am by jwlv »