Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

light light bulbs

light light bulbs
« on: June 09, 2017, 04:29:02 am »
I cannot change out the wall switch for the ceiling fan because it does not have the proper wiring so I need bulbs.  are there any smartbulbs out there that would not be too heavy?  I need four of them for one ceiling fan. 

I currently have ge, cree and hue and they are too heavy.  based on the complaints here and and other forums, I want nothing to do with tp-link. 

any suggestions?

k9kids

Re: light light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:25:32 am »
Your ceiling fan can't handle the weight of some light bulbs???

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 08:33:24 am »
Your best bet may be to just add a Wi-Fi module to the light fixture.
Doing so may limit you to simple on/off commands depending on what you use.
This way you could keep using inexpensive LED Bulbs if those too aren't to heavy as well.

ITead sells several Sonoff modules which use the small cheap ESP8266 WiFi chip and apparently now has an Alexa skill, though I've not tested it.
I personally don't like their software so I flashed my modules to use a different firmware.
Most of these modules are under $10 US and you'd only need one.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home.html

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:45:46 am »
Your ceiling fan can't handle the weight of some light bulbs???

really could not say for sure.  I rent and the landlord likes cheap labor and cheap products:-)  besides some of those smart bulbs are heavy.  Just want to play it safe. 

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:48:58 am »
Your best bet may be to just add a Wi-Fi module to the light fixture.
Doing so may limit you to simple on/off commands depending on what you use.
This way you could keep using inexpensive LED Bulbs if those too aren't to heavy as well.

ITead sells several Sonoff modules which use the small cheap ESP8266 WiFi chip and apparently now has an Alexa skill, though I've not tested it.
I personally don't like their software so I flashed my modules to use a different firmware.
Most of these modules are under $10 US and you'd only need one.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home.html

something to look into  --  thanks :-)

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:35:12 am »
 ???  What is it you don't like about tp-link?

jim1590

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:06:05 pm »
The Philips Hue bulbs are pretty light weight. You can get a gen 1 hub on ebay for about $10 and each bulb is only $15. You will save in the long run.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 06:57:47 pm »
???  What is it you don't like about tp-link?

as I said in my original post, I read too much bad things about them across the web.  they are about the only ones that get complained about on here.   never hear anything bad about ge or cree.   one thing for sure, with the wifi built in, they must be heavy. 

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 06:59:48 pm »
The Philips Hue bulbs are pretty light weight. You can get a gen 1 hub on ebay for about $10 and each bulb is only $15. You will save in the long run.

I have several of them but was hoping something a bit lighter.  maybe bulbs that were created with chandlers and multi-bulb ceiling fans in mind. 

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 07:00:23 pm »
I have the cheap LED bulbs and the Cheap Hue Bulbs by Philips... Both are light enough to put in a ceiling fan that uses the same base/bulb receptacle. I have 4 in one of my ceiling fans and don't imagine changing to the Hue Bulbs would be too bad. Sadly, My Living room Ceiling fan has those damn candelabra bulbs and no one makes a smart candelabra bulb at this time... unless someone knows something I don't.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 07:08:50 pm »
I have the cheap LED bulbs and the Cheap Hue Bulbs by Philips... Both are light enough to put in a ceiling fan that uses the same base/bulb receptacle. I have 4 in one of my ceiling fans and don't imagine changing to the Hue Bulbs would be too bad. Sadly, My Living room Ceiling fan has those damn candelabra bulbs and no one makes a smart candelabra bulb at this time... unless someone knows something I don't.

I read recently that hue will have the candelabra bulbs soon though I am not sure about here in the US.  the article said europe and uk. 

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/17/philips-hue-candle-bulbs/

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 10:59:58 pm »
https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/17/philips-hue-candle-bulbs/

Thanks for that... I hope they get around to it and get some here soon. I have about 300 bucks worth to buy... if those prices stand long. I certainly think the pricing of all the Smart bulbs should start coming down unless they can make stuff even cooler and better.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 09:17:58 am »

one thing for sure, with the wifi built in, they must be heavy.
The Wi-Fi chips don't add much weight, the ESP8266 WiFi chip is about 20g (0.7oz)
https://fineshang.gitbooks.io/esp8266-based-serial-wifi-shield-for-arduino-user/content/chapter1.html
I suspect most smart bulbs use as simular chip if not the ESP.