Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Enable calling and messaging if Windows 10 Mobile user

Jerome

Enable calling and messaging if Windows 10 Mobile user
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:31:27 pm »
Hello,
I was wondering if it's possible to enable calling and messaging for my Echo if I'm a Windows 10 Mobile user.
It seems like that new feature is tightly coupled with the Alexa app on smartphone.
And since the Alexa app does not exist on Windows 10 Mobile (for now), it looks like it's a dead end.
Is that a proper conclusion ?

Jerome

mike27oct

Re: Enable calling and messaging if Windows 10 Mobile user
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:05:31 pm »
Jerome, haven't you heard that Microsoft has gotten out of the mobile phone business recently -- again?  No one buys the darn things, and no sane company wants to make apps for the phones. You really need to go shopping for a supported phone such as any Android or iPhone.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 12:22:57 am »
Historically Microsoft could never compete in the portable/mobile area. The Zune MP3 player did okay for a short time but eventually ended up in the landfill. Windows CE devices did abysmally because of low powered CPUs, sluggish performance, and lack of software. Windows phones, which I hear can run standard Windows 10 apps, just never caught on due to fierce competition with IOS and Android.

I've always said that the Windows 10 UI was a huge mistake. Don't remove the start button or take away the desktop and replace it with tiles!!! I don't want to use something that mimics a tablet or a phone. I use a desktop computer because I want to use a computer, not a 24" phone that sits on my desk. And I use a phone because I don't want to use something that looks like a computer desktop with a 5" screen. When Microsoft tried to combine both platforms and make them look the same, that's where the big problems collide.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 01:13:10 am »
Ur, uh, hmmm . . . Amen?

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 01:22:19 am »
These guys need to share a beer together and share their pain.

http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,1964.0.html

Jerome

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 06:47:36 am »
Guys,
I'm well aware of the situation regarding Windows Phone/Mobile and its "app gap", thank you very much.
I've had my latest Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 830 under Windows 10 Mobile) for 2 years and a half now, way long before I even knew Amazon Echo existed.

My question was to know if there was a workaround, which I'm afraid there isn't, for Windows users (desktop or mobile, app or website).
Anyway I live in France so even if I had the proper smartphone/app, I guess the feature would not be available yet over here for technical/geographical reasons (the Echo not being available itself to start with).

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 12:36:36 pm »
Well Jerome, my advice still stands.  The Windows phone is a dinosaur, and the Grand Canyon sized app gap spans more than the Echo products.  I see Windows phone users indignantly whining in many other forums about an absent Windows app for many products. The only workarounds I know for this is to not own a Windows phone, so don't shoot the messengers.