Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Hopefully it can do one thing for me

ancient11

Hopefully it can do one thing for me
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:02:45 am »
While I can use many of the things that I have read about the dealbreaker is hinged on one thing. I have trouble taking my medication's once a day. I have an affliction known as dementia and I
 sometime's forget to take my medication for two or three day's at a time.

I was wondering if I could get Alexa to remind me once a day to take my medication. If I could it would really be a blessing. I would appreciate if you would let me know if this is possible.
Thank you very much

mike27oct

Re: Hopefully it can do one thing for me
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 12:22:20 pm »
It will not tell you to take your meds, but if you set an alarm for each time every day as a "reminder" that could help.

Jamd19

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »
If you have your calendar linked to Alexa, and you ask Alexa everyday " whats on my calendar today?"  You can set an event at a certain time of the day for every day  to "take my medicine".

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:42:45 pm »
Yea, right, a person who forgets to take meds daily will remember to check a digital calendar. No way.  Only noise will get their attention -- like an alarm via Alexa.

btidey

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 01:59:26 pm »
The Alexa alarm will only produce a sound on the Alexa device, but you can use an Alexa alarm going off to also trigger an activity using IFTTT.

This could then take actions like send notification to your phone.

StevenR

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 03:29:06 pm »
If you link your Alexa To Do list to a Todoist account (through Settings > Lists) then this can do the sort of thing you want. You simply need to say "Alexa, add <whatever> every day at <time> to my to do list". This will make Alexa will add it to your list. Your list will then get synchronised with Todoist, which will parse the "every day at <time>", replace it with a recurring item named "<whatever>", and remove the original item from Alexa. Every day, when Todoist synchronises with Alexa, it will add that day's task to your Alexa to do list.

You can have reminders from Todoist, but these are a Premium (subscription) feature. If you don't have Premium (I don't), a workaround is to use IFTTT. The Alexa IFTTT service has an "Item added to your To Do List" trigger which you can use to trigger an event (such as a notification) whenever a new task is added to Alexa. This will happen every time Todoist adds the new occurrence of the task.

LibertySat

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:48:22 pm »
I have a Reminder set on my iPhone to remind me twice a day for my pills.
Both my computer & phone alert me when it is time
Love it

ancient11

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 09:11:34 pm »
I have marked this page in my favorite's and I will be will be buying an echo the fourth of next month. I will most likely be seeking help at that time.  I have no telephone because of telemarketer's! 

iolinux333

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:24:51 pm »
If you link your Alexa To Do list to a Todoist account (through Settings > Lists) then this can do the sort of thing you want. You simply need to say "Alexa, add <whatever> every day at <time> to my to do list". This will make Alexa will add it to your list. Your list will then get synchronised with Todoist, which will parse the "every day at <time>", replace it with a recurring item named "<whatever>", and remove the original item from Alexa. Every day, when Todoist synchronises with Alexa, it will add that day's task to your Alexa to do list.

You can have reminders from Todoist, but these are a Premium (subscription) feature. If you don't have Premium (I don't), a workaround is to use IFTTT. The Alexa IFTTT service has an "Item added to your To Do List" trigger which you can use to trigger an event (such as a notification) whenever a new task is added to Alexa. This will happen every time Todoist adds the new occurrence of the task.

This is the correct answer right now, but it's pretty hard for the average person to implement.

Maybe you can have a tech savvy relative follow these instructions and make it happen for you.

Hopefully Alexa will improve enough in the near future so you can just tell it to do what you want without having to pay extra, which I think is total BS.