Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

The farking banner at the top of the Alexa app

iolinux333

The farking banner at the top of the Alexa app
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:20:15 am »
 :-\ is there any way to make it go away?!?

It eats up a LOT of my screen.

I DO NOT LIKE IT AMAZON grrr!

coyote

Re: The farking banner at the top of the Alexa app
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 11:11:06 am »
I rarely use the Alexa app itself. So it's not a big deal for me.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 01:06:46 pm »
:-\ is there any way to make it go away?!?

It eats up a LOT of my screen.

I DO NOT LIKE IT AMAZON grrr!
I am using the browser Alexa app.  No banner.  Not even the "farking" one.  :P
So if you have a comp, use the browser app instead of the one on your mobile device.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 02:05:33 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the Alexa mobile app, and AB, please quit trying to convince people to use a computer browser for alexa control.  Since you don't even have a smartphone that can use an app, your frame of reference is very limited.  Besides, a mobile app is lots more convenient when NOT near a computer!

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 02:12:31 pm »
No banner on mine (iPhone).

StevenR

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 02:52:42 pm »
Is the banner which is being discussed here the one which says "New to Alexa" banner? If so, then this is appearing for me in all the apps - Android, iOS, even in the web browser version. It may be that this is a regional thing (I'm in the UK).

strayfish

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 03:24:42 pm »
Is the banner which is being discussed here the one which says "New to Alexa" banner? If so, then this is appearing for me in all the apps - Android, iOS, even in the web browser version. It may be that this is a regional thing (I'm in the UK).

Ah, well if that's what's being described as a banner, then yes, I have that too (also UK) but I don't find it intrusive.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 08:58:23 pm »
If the "Banner" is what I have, it's 3 rotating Alexa Prompts... Today it says

Happy Star Wars Day
"Alexa, May the 4th Be With You"

And the Quotes after that are
"Alexa, Tell me a Star Wars joke"
&
"Alexa, Can you talk like Yoda?"

Other than that... no "ads" or annoying stuff... But like others say, I also only look at the browser app once in a while and the phone app even less often, as the only time I access it is to see what Alexa caught when she failed a command... and it almost always loses the end of what is said, due to someone interrupting with a noise or sneeze or talking on a phone nearby. Over all... I USE the echo items more than I monitor them.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

iolinux333

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 12:06:47 am »

Happy Star Wars Day

&

Other than that... no "ads" or annoying stuff... But like others say, I also only look at the browser app once in a while and the phone app even less often, as the only time I access it is to see what Alexa caught when she failed a command... and it almost always loses the end of what is said, due to someone interrupting with a noise or sneeze or talking on a phone nearby. Over all... I USE the echo items more than I monitor them.

Yes, that is the stupid banner I'm talking about. It appeared on the old Android tablet I have on permanently next to one of my Echos a month or two ago. That was bad enough, but it appeared on the iPhone app in the past few days and I HATE it. It provides me no benefit, takes up valuable screen space, and has no option to turn it off.

strayfish

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 03:53:52 am »

Happy Star Wars Day

&

Yes, that is the stupid banner I'm talking about. It appeared on the old Android tablet I have on permanently next to one of my Echos a month or two ago. That was bad enough, but it appeared on the iPhone app in the past few days and I HATE it. It provides me no benefit, takes up valuable screen space, and has no option to turn it off.

In that case it's probably defined as product information. You could contact Amazon and complain about it but my guess is more people either like it or feel neutral about it than are antagonised so you might be onto a loser there.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 01:07:34 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the Alexa mobile app, and AB, please quit trying to convince people to use a computer browser for alexa control.  Since you don't even have a smartphone that can use an app, your frame of reference is very limited.  Besides, a mobile app is lots more convenient when NOT near a computer!
Unless I am violating the forum rules and/or you are a forum moderator, DO NOT tell me what I can or cannot "font" on this message board.  The last time I checked I only have one set of parents.  Now unless my mother has a "family secret".........  ::)

That being said, I always mention the browser Alexa app because if one doesn't work properly, the other will.  If you have a problem w/what I font, ignore my postings.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 02:22:55 pm »
@AB,

I am not going to engage in a public debate with you here.  I expressed my opinions and that is that.

iolinux333

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 12:06:18 pm »
Unless I am violating the forum rules and/or you are a forum moderator, DO NOT tell me what I can or cannot "font" on this message board.  The last time I checked I only have one set of parents.  Now unless my mother has a "family secret".........  ::)

That being said, I always mention the browser Alexa app because if one doesn't work properly, the other will.  If you have a problem w/what I font, ignore my postings.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

lol