Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Strange behavior--any suggestions

dennyls

Strange behavior--any suggestions
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:22 pm »
 :-\  I'm new here.  I've had a Echo Dot for about 5 months.  It's worked extremely well until a couple days ago.  Wondering if anyone has any ideas.  It appears the Dot is randomly losing connectivity with Amazon's server.  I walk into the room and ask it something; the blue lights do their usual thing, but she doesn't answer.  When I check my router client list, it shows the Dot is still connected. I can connect to my wifi with other devices (my phone) from that same location.

Now here's the strange part, if I log onto my Alexa app on my smart phone, then my Dot seems to find her way and work again for awhile.  I've repeated this process several times--Dot loses connectivity, log onto smart phone app--Dot OK again.

When Dot loses it, I have tried resetting the device (pull power cable)--sometimes this fixes it, sometimes not.  I've done the reboot of my router and reboot of the Dot. 

I have been changing some configurations on my router--so I suspect something there might be amiss, but I can't imagine how logging onto the Alexa app on my smart phone 'fixes' the problem.  My router is an Asus RT-A66U.  Running Windows 10 on my laptop, and Android latest version on my Samsung Galaxy S7.  The router changes were just to accommodate a USB hard drive I've connected to the router.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Denny

Alpha Bitch

Re: Strange behavior--any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 05:06:34 pm »
I have tried resetting the device (pull power cable)--sometimes this fixes it, sometimes not.
Did you wait 5-10 minutes before replugging?

Any ideas, suggestions?
#1 - Change to a different channel on your router.
#2 - Call CS - 1-877-375-9365

Re: Strange behavior--any suggestions
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 04:40:06 am »
do a power cycle on your router.   pull the power for a slow 10 count, then plug back in.