Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Vaux portable speaker

k9kids

Vaux portable speaker
« on: April 25, 2017, 05:23:48 pm »
Yes I bought one.

Wanted to use an existing Dot to get portability with better sound qualities.

I have a Tap already and wasn't going to buy another.

Please keep the smart-ass comments to yourself. ;D

The unit is well built and the sound is fairly decent. A bit light on the bass, but overall much better than the Dot. The Tap is still the king for portable sound. :)

Have gotten eight hours of play time from it. Decided to get the white version and it fits in well.

Compared to the other battery pack I bought for the Dot, this one gives portability plus really decent sound over the Dot.

No regrets on my purchase.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:28:17 pm by k9kids »

mike27oct

Re: Vaux portable speaker
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:05:57 pm »
Thanks for the eval. Keep us informed.
Is that a My Cloud seen on the bottom shelf?

k9kids

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:40:18 pm »
Mike,

Good eye. It is a 2TB WD My Cloud.

Use it primarily to access/backup laptops at home.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:03:19 am »
Yep, I have one, too.  It is a DL2100 w/ two 4TB drives set up as RAID 1.  It is my media server for music, videos and some photo files I can access on home network and remotely (but alas, Alexa cannot play from it!)  Amazon needs to finally make this possible.

I am a member of the WD forum for quite a few years.  There has been a lot of commotion there in the past month or two regarding security "holes" in the MC devices.  So much so, that WD made updates to all their My Cloud models' FW.  If you haven't been there lately check the WD Community forum for news and get the latest FW for your device.

k9kids

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:00:13 am »
What's your current revision level for the WD MC f/w.

Southern Dad

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 02:45:51 pm »
While I admit the Vaux is good looking and would improve the functionality of my Echo Dots, it costs more than I paid for my Dots.

iolinux333

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 04:09:37 am »
How does it sound compared to, say, a Bose Mini Soundlink 2?

k9kids

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 10:32:52 am »

No idea. I would hope that the Bose unit was far superior. Remember... this is a $49.00 device. Not $200.00.

iolinux333

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 10:40:02 am »

No idea. I would hope that the Bose unit was far superior. Remember... this is a $49.00 device. Not $200.00.

I went ahead and ordered one. I'll compare it to the Soundlink Mini 2 when it arrives. I love the sound of the Bose, but I can't leave it hardwired to my Dot as the stupid thing switches off the input port after 30 min of silence, requiring a button push to switch back to the port. It's a huge bug that Bose has refused to fix with a software update despite many emails and complaints. The Bluetooth connection leaves a lot to be desired, so hopefully this will be a good compromise.

iolinux333

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 10:42:07 am »
This is where to buy it BTW:

https://ninety7life.com/

Jerrym74

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »
I just ordered one also. Hope the sound quality doesn't disappoint me.

iolinux333

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 10:22:59 pm »
I still can't figure out why tone control (s), bass & treble (or more) disappeared from sound systems. They have been standard since the 1920s then suddenly they went away. Powered speakers with a tone knob are rarer than hens teeth.   My point being that a stupid tone knob, consisting of a potentiometer and a capacitor, and costing fifty cents, could let plenty of cheap speakers sound great at lower volumes.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:25:01 pm by iolinux333 »

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 07:44:38 am »
I still can't figure out why tone control (s), bass & treble (or more) disappeared from sound systems. They have been standard since the 1920s then suddenly they went away. Powered speakers with a tone knob are rarer than hens teeth.   My point being that a stupid tone knob, consisting of a potentiometer and a capacitor, and costing fifty cents, could let plenty of cheap speakers sound great at lower volumes.

I understand where you're coming from for sure... everyone has different tastes and hearing needs and those controls were there to adjust to your personal sound tastes.

A decent crossover on a high end audio system can be pretty involved, more than just a couple of components anyway... but with miniaturization and technological gains we should have some tone control for sure. What ever happened to component stereo systems? They're being edged out by sound bars and portable bluetooth speakers and the like...

Now... if I could get a tone control for my neighborhood... I'd sure like to turn the bass down a little around here... (Frickin' thump cars...)
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

iolinux333

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:41 pm »
Quick review:

Looks awesome (I got the white one).

As loud as the Tap.

About as much bass as the Tap, but with what sounds like a lower quality amp, so definitely slightly harsh sounding at all volumes, as though there's always a bit of distortion, mostly even harmonic distortion (even harmonics sound harsh). Cutting back on the midrange and treble might help but there's no tone controls so that's moot.

Big issue: it is WAY TOO LOUD at the lowest volume setting. Not good for a bedside Alexa device!!!

It makes a little whine noise when Alexa is speaking. It doesn't make the whine noise otherwise.

Does not fit the original model Dot unless you want to try to force it in, and then would have trouble turning the volume knob anyway.

Will I keep it? Yes. I think it's the best solution out there so far for an extra Dot (new model) lying about otherwise unused. I'm just going to leave it in the guest room for guests to play with.

Compared to the Bose Soundlink Mini II?  Lol no contest. The Bose sounds an order of magnitude nicer in clarity, lack of distortion, and bass response. The Bose is$200 though and doesn't have a reliable wired connection - only Bluetooth works barely reliably.

I still haven't found a perfect speaker solution for the Tap that isn't crazy expensive or crazy huge.

And there's certainly nothing on the market that integrates the Dot into itself like this does. It's super clean and looks fantastic.

I just wish they'd spent a few more dollars on the amp and EQ settings to make it sound as good as the Tap, or even the Echo.

They also really need to change the volume ramp up curve so that the lowest volume setting is about 20dB lower than it is now.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:14:04 am by iolinux333 »

iolinux333

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 10:10:50 am »

I understand where you're coming from for sure... everyone has different tastes and hearing needs and those controls were there to adjust to your personal sound tastes.

A decent crossover on a high end audio system can be pretty involved, more than just a couple of components anyway... but with miniaturization and technological gains we should have some tone control for sure. What ever happened to component stereo systems? They're being edged out by sound bars and portable bluetooth speakers and the like...

Now... if I could get a tone control for my neighborhood... I'd sure like to turn the bass down a little around here... (Frickin' thump cars...)

Still though, I just don't get it. A simple tone knob would only add fifty cents to cost of manufacture of ANY powered speaker. Why did EQ go away? It was SO important to have some kind of EQ until about the mid 2000s. Then it was just not a thing suddenly.