Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Smart 20 AMP Connector

smartmarknyc

Smart 20 AMP Connector
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:52 am »
I am looking to control my 2 AC units which have 20 AMP/240 Volt 3 prong connectors. The 2 prongs are horizontal with ground prong. I am looking for a smart socket for these. Has anyone had any luck?

richardsayce

Re: Smart 20 AMP Connector
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:36:43 am »
Hi.
Do your AC units pull 20 amp or is the plug rated at 20amp?
Are you able to get the cable? If so you can always cut the cable wire in a socket. add any wifi socket that works with Alexa and then make the other end of the cable with a plug.

A pic would help.

jdeacon

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:26:07 am »
richardsayce is right. You'll need to know what the AC actually uses.

I assume though that you are in the US. So the fact that it is 240V rather than 110V indicates that it pulls a lot of power.

If it pulls anything like what I imagine it does, you probably won't be able to add a plug and connect it to any old smart outlet like an HS100.

I can't find a smart outlet for my water heater which is 13A at 240V, here in the UK. Although the HS100 is rated at 13A/240V/3kW in the UK, I'm not going to risk sailing that close. (The correct fuse for my water heater would be 16A.) As far as I can see, I'm going to have to use a contactor (big relay) and use a smart outlet to drive the contactor.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:50:34 am »
That's the "how to"... Use a contactor controlled by the Smart outlet... the contactor needs to be rated at about 120% of the current demand for safety and to meet any electrical code. You could also set it up with an SSR... SSR is a Solid State Relay, that does the same thing the contactor does, except completely silent. They're easier to use in my opinion, but a lot of folks stick to the old school contactor (which is just a heavy duty relay)... due to familiarity. If using the SSR, I always go double the rating for durability... If I need 20 amps I buy 40, etc...You will likely need a Heat sink on the SSR as well, so plan and research the parts and what they do... It's pretty easy.

I do a lot of electrical stuff for my powder coating oven arrangements... and find that I get better service out of the SSR than the contactor over time.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!