Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How Many Hubs and Bridges?

How Many Hubs and Bridges?
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:54:29 pm »
Maybe not exactly the full question, but a start... but how many are using hubs and bridges and how are they using them?

I am looking at an additional lighting situation to things I already have, and it will require me to stick withT8 flourescent tube lighting to keep from doing a major construction job on my kitchen... there are 8 single tube fixtures tied to one light switch... replacing them with standard bulbs would kill me to add enough to replace the light that would be lost removing them... Of course I'd want voice control as well... as I can afford... What I keep running into is adding a light switch that can be controlled by the Echo products... and LED tube light replacements at around 25 bux a pop... That means I can replace them one here and one there, and not break the bank doing it all at once...

So my Question is more specifically this: What is the best single hub to control additional products of more types? or do I already have a hub (harmony) that will control the switches on the market, without adding another bridge or hub? Anyone have knowledge of this?

The Harmony hub and Alexa both tout their ability to control Hue light bulbs, but neither openly state you have to have the hub to interface with them... How many hubs or bridges can be required or work with my router before it explodes... LOL They all seem to require a direct connection to your router to utilize it's on-board security... I only have 4 ports ad have already spent one (would be 2 if my Mac Book had a LAN connection)... can anyone help with the best direction? or am I quickly over expecting the abilities of the group here?
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

Re: How Many Hubs and Bridges?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:14:52 am »
Scott FYI:
If you need more ethernet ports than the four on your router you buy ethernet "extension boxes"; actually called network switches.  (The 4 ports at back of a router is the network switch part of a router) I have a wired home, with wall outlets in four rooms., each outlet connected to the router.  So, in all 4 rooms I have a network switch connected to wall and can add all sorts of gadgets to each box, depending on how many ports each box has.  I mostly use 4 and 8 port boxes, and at TV Entertainment Center, I actually have an 8 and a 4 port box.  So far, my router has not blown up. ;)  If you have a gigabit router then you should be sure to buy gigabit network switches. Just be sure to buy a switch as fast as your router, and many modern routers (and gadgets) are now gigabit speed.

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 07:28:36 am »
You must have a Hue Bridge (hub) to control Hue lights. Alexa and Harmony "talk" to the the Bridge, not directly to the bulbs. As Mike mentioned, you can connect a network switch to your router to allow for more wired items. I use one, and it works fine. For your kitchen situation, you may be able to replace your existing switch with a Wemo switch. It connects to your router and does not require an additional hub. I have one, and it works well with Alexa.

jim1590

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 08:53:50 am »
In response to your question about controlling the 8 lights with one switch. You can get the alexa controlled switch and wire it in. You have 2 options. A wi-fi connected one such as Belkin or TP-Link or a hub controlled one such as the Philips Hue.

The wi-fi devices each tie up a IP address from your router. I have 1 switch and 1 outlet.

The Hub devices are connected to the hub via z-wave communication (Philips can have up to 50 devices) and the hub uses an ethernet port on your router. I have 4 Philips bulbs.

They each have pros and cons.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:08:12 pm »
one thing about hubs, there are no guarantee they will continue to support third party lights and switches.  Last year (dont remember which one) one of the hubs dropped third party lights and switches compatibility.  there was such an uproar, they brought it back.

you can also purchase lights and switches that does not require any hubs but it will get expensive and cost a lot more than those that require hubs. 

as far as the hub that is the most compatible.  I believe it is smartthings hub from samsung. 

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:03:04 am »
as far as the hub that is the most compatible.  I believe it is smartthings hub from samsung.

This is Helpful info... Thanks for that. Most compatible is a good start.

As far as Switches, I had already started a line of research on them and have a direction (Including the gigabit ethernet option, already in mind). I have the "fastest" FIOS router available at this time, so I should be alright.

I wired 3 hardwired LAN outlets with Cable into my living/dining area during a recent remodel, and plan on adding more in the rest of the house as I update things, so that is truly going to be my better upgrade for all the automation items. No one thought there'd be real Star Trek living needs when they built this house in 1972... It's a process for sure.

All in all, I wish someone would build ONE hub/bridge that does the work without having to add special additional hardware other than the end device (switch, bulb, toaster... whatever)... to help alleviate the need for so much wiring... the hubs kind of dull the excitement and enjoyment...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!