Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

TP-Link-Alexa...TV Works (More or Less)

malliekm

TP-Link-Alexa...TV Works (More or Less)
« on: April 09, 2017, 01:46:19 am »
Just to see if it would work (because I have no "always on" light on the front of the flat screen tv), I plugged our master bedroom tv into a TP-Link Smart Outlet.  Saying "Alexa, tv on" turned the screen on to the recorded tv program I was watching and saying "Alexa, tv off" turns off the screen.  GREAT!  But...the recorded tv show didn't stop when the tv was turned off nor did it revert back to live tv.  The recorded show just kept on progressing even tho the screen was off.  90%+ of the tv I watch is recorded.  Even if it wasn't I don't see a benefit to turning the tv on and off with voice when you're going to have to pick up the remote anyway to adjust volume and change channels.  Unless I'm missing something (with THIS smart product) I think I'll just plug it back into the den lamp.

Re: TP-Link-Alexa...TV Works (More or Less)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:12:32 am »
Sounds like a Standard Fail so far... on and off are cooll as long as that's ALL that the device can do... when there are settings involved another item is required...

I completely recommend the Harmony Hub for AV control through Alexa... I've installed a few now and It can be frustrating to learn the commands properly, but man it works all kinds of wonderful when you get that all figured out.That coupled with the TOTALLY FREE Yonomi app will set you free.

Yeah... It's a Hundred Bux, but well worth it in the long run.

I researched the TP linked stuff and my understanding is the "no hub" stuff will go offline at times and has little or nothing to do with *YOUR* wireless and wifi stuff... so if they shut down servers for maintenance or have an outage of any kind, you have a little issue until it gets fixed...

I am looking into Light switches as well, because so far I haven't found any Smart Candelabra light bulbs... and I have 10 I can see where I sit writing this post, that I want to control by voice.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 01:43:44 pm »
>>>  Yeah... It's a Hundred Bux, but well worth it in the long run.

Not for me.  This comes under the category of "over-automating" in my opinion, especially for a TV.  I have considered these multi-remotes way before there were Alexa devices, and cannot see the value or convenience of them.  Consider that we have cable TV with DVR included.  The cable box remote does it all, easily.  It turns on/off TV, we can peruse the contents of DVR and watch them, skip through commercials, etc.; with the one remote.  our other equipment (Roku, media player, blu-ray, etc.) has specialized remotes as well) and turning on/off is not the concern -- it is all the specialized functions and capabilities of the gadgets which eliminates an all-in-one remote for our use.

And, TP link switches work well for many of us, and cost much less than pricey hubs.  They go off line no more than other gadgets, and for turning on/off lamps they are perfect.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 01:45:48 pm »
At least it wasn't an "EPIC" fail ;)  I was surprised it worked at all.  I'll keep the Harmony system in mind if I ever decide add to my measly smart home collection :)
Monica

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:22:27 pm »
Just to see if it would work (because I have no "always on" light on the front of the flat screen tv), I plugged our master bedroom tv into a TP-Link Smart Outlet.  Saying "Alexa, tv on" turned the screen on to the recorded tv program I was watching and saying "Alexa, tv off" turns off the screen.  GREAT!  But...the recorded tv show didn't stop when the tv was turned off nor did it revert back to live tv.  The recorded show just kept on progressing even tho the screen was off.  90%+ of the tv I watch is recorded.  Even if it wasn't I don't see a benefit to turning the tv on and off with voice when you're going to have to pick up the remote anyway to adjust volume and change channels.  Unless I'm missing something (with THIS smart product) I think I'll just plug it back into the den lamp.

how is the show being recorded and watched?  if with a second device, it would need a switch too.  you would then setup a group to turn both off at the same time.   

as far as the benefit of turning on/off with voice.  it depends on your needs.  It benefits me because I was all the time leaving my tvs on, even when not home.   Sometimes I was just too lazy to get out of the recliner and go to a bedroom just to turn off a tv.  since getting my wemo switches, my tvs are now turned off regularly by voice so it does benefit me and my electric bill  :-)   

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 07:32:24 pm »
Turning the tv off would be the ONLY benefit and then only if I was watching live (not DVR'd) programming since turning the tv off with Alexa and the TP-Link product doesn't stop the recorded show.  I keeps advancing altho I turned the tv off with Alexa.  90% or more of the tv I watch is DVR'd.  It's nothing that's on a priority list right now ;)

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 09:45:20 pm »
>>>  Yeah... It's a Hundred Bux, but well worth it in the long run.

Not for me.  This comes under the category of "over-automating" in my opinion, especially for a TV.  I have considered these multi-remotes way before there were Alexa devices, and cannot see the value or convenience of them.  Consider that we have cable TV with DVR included.  The cable box remote does it all, easily.  It turns on/off TV, we can peruse the contents of DVR and watch them, skip through commercials, etc.; with the one remote.  our other equipment (Roku, media player, blu-ray, etc.) has specialized remotes as well) and turning on/off is not the concern -- it is all the specialized functions and capabilities of the gadgets which eliminates an all-in-one remote for our use.

And, TP link switches work well for many of us, and cost much less than pricey hubs.  They go off line no more than other gadgets, and for turning on/off lamps they are perfect.

I understand where you are coming from, Mike... I really do. In this case the goal was to be able to control things by voice completely (I thought) and the best solution I can see is the Harmony Hub. I don't even have cable or satellite but have set up 2 systems with cable and agree... the remotes for that stuff does it all... my reasoning for all the voice control is different than a lot of people's reasoning, with my Aunt's needing to control with voice only... so That's the direction I go with everything.

I've come to a point where I am having a blast setting up and learning all the options and possibilities... I'm having a hard time with the price of the Hue color bulbs... but a few of the 15 dollar white ones isn't killing me so far, but they emit that regular old incandescent yellow light at their best... I eventually want brighter light (I like the 4000k range for my normal lighting... the hue white bulbs area round 2700k which is the reason for the color... I'm hoping the color bulb systems will come down in price eventually (Sooner would be better).

I still have many questions and hopes for my Voice activated Home automation stuff.  Adding a new Question for the group on another thread...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

jim1590

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:04:45 am »
Consider that we have cable TV with DVR included.  The cable box remote does it all, easily.  It turns on/off TV, we can peruse the contents of DVR and watch them, skip through commercials, etc.; with the one remote.  our other equipment (Roku, media player, blu-ray, etc.) has specialized remotes as well) and turning on/off is not the concern -- it is all the specialized functions and capabilities of the gadgets which eliminates an all-in-one remote for our use.

I beg to differ on this. My Harmony 700 remote controls (with all special functions available)

LG 55" LED TV
Pioneer 5.1 ch 4k Passthrough HDMI Stereo Receiver
Direct TV 4k Box / DVR
Sony Blu-Ray Player
Roku 4
Xbox One

If I want to go from watching Direct TV to Roku, I press the button and the remote changes my input, wakes the Roku and turns off the Direct TV. The directional buttons on the remote replace those on the Roku remote and the specialized buttons show up as softkeys on the remote screen. Want to play Xbox, press that key and it is turned on, input switched and I get all the keys. Even A, B, X and Y.

Probably will not fo the Harmony Hub, but the 700 works great. 

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 01:01:15 pm »
Jim,

Nice that you have all this working off a single remote, yet it appears it is all new equipment,  with electronic (not mechanical) switches, and fewer gadgets hooked up.  I only have 4 HDMI plugs on my TV, yet I still need an a 5-port add-on HDMI switch box for my additional equipment, such as Fire TV stick, Chromecast, CD player, media player, HD radio box, DVD recorder, Echo Dot input. etc, etc.  I have lots of gadgets connected to TV and stereo; way too much for a Harmony remote to fully control, and well, it is just not going to work for me.  For those who can make it all work; go for it.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 05:58:54 pm »
Jim,

Nice that you have all this working off a single remote, yet it appears it is all new equipment,  with electronic (not mechanical) switches, and fewer gadgets hooked up.  I only have 4 HDMI plugs on my TV, yet I still need an a 5-port add-on HDMI switch box for my additional equipment, such as Fire TV stick, Chromecast, CD player, media player, HD radio box, DVD recorder, Echo Dot input. etc, etc.  I have lots of gadgets connected to TV and stereo; way too much for a Harmony remote to fully control, and well, it is just not going to work for me.  For those who can make it all work; go for it.

looking at your list, you really do not need the harmony remote to full control them.  you can use a combination of devices and switches - though it could get expensive if you go all out. 

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 09:50:21 pm »
Yea, I get along fine with all the separate remotes, not all gadgets are used daily.  Only the remotes for TV, Comcast/DVR, Roku, WDTV media player (for music and movies from my home network My Cloud NAS server) and FireTV stick clutter the coffee table, and there is also a small 4-compartment remote holder where most of them are.  Life is good, and with one less electronic gadget (Harmony remote or hub) that could malfunction on any day.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 03:15:31 am »
Monica, HUH? what have you been smoking tonight?

malliekm

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 01:56:19 pm »
OK, I removed it.  Don't want anyone to think I smoke ANYthing :)  It was just a very frustrating day yesterday and when I read the word "malfunction" on your message it made me think about what started the frustrating day...relying so heavily on gadgets.  So I broke my own cardinal rule for posting to online forums...less is best!

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 04:15:47 pm »
OK, I removed it.  Don't want anyone to think I smoke ANYthing :)  It was just a very frustrating day yesterday and when I read the word "malfunction" on your message it made me think about what started the frustrating day...relying so heavily on gadgets.  So I broke my own cardinal rule for posting to online forums...less is best!

Monica, HUH? what have you been smoking tonight?

now it looks like mike is smoking something  :-)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:04:42 pm by renegade600 »

malliekm

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 04:43:23 pm »
Better him than me ;)