Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

I put my dot on the ceiling with Amp and speakers

richardsayce

I put my dot on the ceiling with Amp and speakers
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:55:14 pm »
Hello people.

I would like some feedback on something I have made and was thinking of a kickstarter campaign if there was enough interest in it.
 This item replaces a standard ceiling rose with a supplied special 4 pin plug that uses the always live loop feed found in ceilings to power the echo and speakers. Please note that you need to check if your ceiling rose has the loop supplied. If it does not then you can still fit the product but the light switch would need to be on perminatly so you would need to get a smart bulb such as the hue or Lifx which the echo can then control. It is 350mm x 350mm at the top and is 100mm deep. I had the idea for something similar a few years ago but i couldnt get my head round the programming of the rasberry PI to do what i wanted it to do. So when the Echo came out i used that instead. I have made and fitted several of these now and wondered if I others liked the idea. 

[/URL][/img]

https://youtu.be/9n4NRNWX5a0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:47:21 pm by richardsayce »

richardsayce

Re: I put my dot on the ceiling with Amp and speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 02:04:17 pm »
How do I add a photo on here?

Got it now....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:26:28 pm by richardsayce »

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 02:23:42 pm »
Good Luck with it.  All my ceiling lights are recessed except for the dining room chandelier. 
To add a photo, start a message. You'll have to store your photo on an image website like Photobucket.  Then use the IMG option to copy the imagine's address and paste.  I don't know why we don't have an option to upload from our computers....or a LIKE button :)
Monica

richardsayce

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 02:29:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
I will have to create a photobucket account first then.

Cheers

jim1590

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:45:41 am »
Looks great, but maybe replace the black dot with a white one?

richardsayce

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:01:18 am »
Cheers.
It is a white one. They all have the dark top.

jim1590

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:44 am »
LOL, I just double checked.

And wouldn't you know it but I have a white one in my bedroom.

Ah well, she is better heard and not seen.

richardsayce

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:16:29 am »
Very true.

I am putting a 3.5mm audio splitter in before the amp and also putting a chromecast audio in it. i am putting a couple around the house so i can have mutiroom audio pumping around the house.
As the echo doesnt do synced mutiroom audio yet.

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 01:59:03 pm »
What happens when the Dot needs to be rebooted? (and they all do, from time to time)  Do you have a way to remove power to the ceiling Dot?

richardsayce

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 02:04:46 pm »
Hi

Yes, there are 2 ways.
!. turn the power off at the consumer board.. (very easy in my house).
2. Unscrew the whole thing from the ceiling and remove the plug. I am making a video on how to fit it and remove it and this will explain how.

I have had my unit for months and have never had to remove power to reset. Is it an American thing??
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:06:57 pm by richardsayce »

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 05:54:19 pm »
It's an Amazon thing.

coyote

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 11:35:26 am »
Hi

Yes, there are 2 ways.
!. turn the power off at the consumer board.. (very easy in my house).
2. Unscrew the whole thing from the ceiling and remove the plug. I am making a video on how to fit it and remove it and this will explain how.

I have had my unit for months and have never had to remove power to reset. Is it an American thing??

If you are manufacturing this unit, you might want to have power options directly on its surface.

malliekm

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 01:02:23 pm »
The decorator (wannabe) in me finds your ceiling fixture very unique.  Don't beleive I've ever seen anything like it.  Also never heard the term, "ceiling rose".  And will the dangling light bulb remain naked?  Can we briefly address form vs function.  The "off topic" patrolman is probably fishing right now ;)  ;D

richardsayce

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »
Hi.

Thanks for the 'unique', i hope it is a complement. lol
 I dont know where you are in the world but in the UK the round part of the light fitting attached to the ceiling is refered to as a rose. and what hangs down in the pendant.
I have designed it so you can add any light from the base of the frame.
I will take some more pics of a different light fitting attached lkater tonight or tomorrow as i am building another one at the moment.

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 01:28:38 pm »
BTW, I would not want a Dot on the ceiling for a variety of reasons, some being it is inconvenient,(resetting could be a pain), it is not well hidden, I cannot easily adjust the volume (which I often do), I would likely have to "yell" at it instead of just talk to it at normal level.  To me, the Dots (and Echo) are just fine sitting on a piece of furniture, shelf, etc. at ground level.  To each, his own.