Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Help us with our bachelor thesis on Amazon Alexa

taskly

Help us with our bachelor thesis on Amazon Alexa
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:00:15 pm »
Hello, we are two Computer Science students that are doing our bachelor thesis. Our research is about how and where people use their Amazon Alexa. If you could spare about 7 min of your time and answer a few questions, we would be very grateful. The link to our survey is: https://survey.su.se/Survey/14914 Thanks you :) Also, please share. The more data, the better the study. Regards, Fredrik & Victor

mike27oct

Re: Help us with our bachelor thesis on Amazon Alexa
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:29:31 pm »
You likely will not get any respondents since we get these requests way too often.  Here's a way to sort of cheat:  read some of the posts here, like a recent one about how people are using their Alexa devices. 

Basically, they use them for their intended purposes, although some with Dots also use them for drink coasters.  Anyway, I think computer science students need a more challenging thesis than this one!

k9kids

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:45 pm »
Alexa say don't ever click on an unknown link from the Soviet Union.  ;D

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:33 pm »

The .se domain is Sweden and this user appears to be from Sweden (Normal users can't see the user's IP but admins can).
The website that hosts this survey seems to be legit. But the survey itself is wanting participants to copy/paste their Alexa history data. Personally, I wouldn't want to share that info. The rest of the survey seems to be quite innocent.

taskly

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 02:43:16 pm »

The .se domain is Sweden and this user appears to be from Sweden (Normal users can't see the user's IP but admins can).
The website that hosts this survey seems to be legit. But the survey itself is wanting participants to copy/paste their Alexa history data. Personally, I wouldn't want to share that info. The rest of the survey seems to be quite innocent.

We are two students from Stockholm University in Sweden and the link goes to a survey tool that our school provides, so nothing fishy there. You are of course not required to copy/paste your history log. However, it provides us with interesting real life use data which will improve the study. The study is completely anonymous if you want it to be, just don't enter your email in the survey field. Also, you are free to modify your history to make sure you don't share any sensitive data.
If you still feel unsure about the legitimacy of this study, please contact our head supervisor of research, Donny McMillan of Mobile Life Center, Stockholm. I'll provide contact information to him if you request it. I have a feeling you would get suspicious if I pasted another link to his website or email here... ;)
Victor