Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Very High Data Consumption - hotspot

euromade

Very High Data Consumption - hotspot
« on: February 19, 2017, 07:53:05 pm »
I took my Echo Dot for a 2.5 hour road trip today.  Had it hooked up to my iPhone 7 via the hot spot, and before leaving I reset my data usage counter on the iPhone.

I was shocked my Echo burned through 483 mb in 2.5 hrs!  That is 3mb per minute....

I asked for 2-3 weather updates, other than that I requested different music choice maybe 5-6 times. 

Not sure why it burns that much data?  Any way to minimize its data usage.   if I were to use my Echo a few hours a day in my car I would need over 10GB a month to satisfy the Echo traffic.

Appreciate any ideas, suggestions!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:42:18 pm by euromade »

mike27oct

Re: Very High Data Consumption - hotspot
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:38:52 pm »
>>>  Appreciate any ideas, suggestions!

Next time just play the car radio.  Seriously, don't put the Dot (or anything) on your data hotspot anymore for 2.5 hours. 

An Echo is always checking with the Mother Ship at all times.  I can see the data blips every few seconds on the traffic monitor of my router.  You are probably being charged just to have the hotspot connected to the data plan while doing nothing at all. 

Live and learn.

euromade

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:47:03 pm »
Apparently, Ford and some other automakers are looking at integrating Alexa in their infortainment systems as early as 2018.  I hope they do something about the data use so it is in line with Pandora, for example.

Here is an interesting data analysis for data consumption with Pandora....

http://androidforums.com/threads/how-much-data-does-pandora-radio-use.451496/

As of now, in my case, my Echo burns about 4x as much data as Pandora...

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:13:12 am »
Keep in mind the Dot you took for a ride is designed for home internet use, and not mobile data plan use.
Some people who have metered internet service have also commented here on high data use of Dots and Echos.  I'm just glad I do not have metered ISP.

coyote

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:01:33 am »
It really shouldn't be checking with the mothership unless you are calling on it to do something.

That's a design flaw that needs to be corrected.

iolinux333

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:30:09 am »
It really shouldn't be checking with the mothership unless you are calling on it to do something.

That's a design flaw that needs to be corrected.

I agree. Efficiency is good for everyone. This isn't a beta product any more. It's a mainstream consumer product with millions hooked up to the net now. Excess data use, not just Echo, but from all software, slows the net for everyone.

euromade

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:13:16 am »
There is a nice youtube video where a guy measures Alexa's data consumption.  It appears when "ordering" songs from the Amazon Music collection, Alexa pulls two songs at a time in a full mp3 quality/size.  That explains excessive data consumption; and especially if one likes to change music choice frequently. 

Non-stop Pandora or Tunein streaming should not be any different than the non-Echo streaming, in my opinion.

The same video shows, hardly any data consumption when idling.   

And here is the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0TQH-H5zXc

iolinux333

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 02:03:26 pm »
I just checked with a width monitor and can confirm Echo pulls due two songs at a time at 3Mbps.

Also 4 echos just hanging out doing nothing, added together pull a continuous 37Kbps.

I wonder why they pull data even when doing nothing at all.

euromade

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 02:07:15 pm »
Well I'm sure it needs the lifeline of data for its "open microphone" so it can recognize when someone says Alexa or Echo. 

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 02:19:34 pm »
Most major US carriers have recently liberalized their data plans.  Check your carrier:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/unlimited-data-plan-competition-163236572.html

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 06:20:16 pm »
I just checked with a width monitor and can confirm Echo pulls due two songs at a time at 3Mbps.

Also 4 echos just hanging out doing nothing, added together pull a continuous 37Kbps.

I wonder why they pull data even when doing nothing at all.

always listening  :-)

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:01 pm »
And sometimes talking when not spoken to!   :D

iolinux333

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:35 am »
Listening for a single word is certainly within the capability of the internal hardware.  There's no need for a data connection to do that.

Something else is going on. Unless the stuff about Alexa only recording after being woken is a lie. Which it probably is.  Whatever. I accept the surveillance state.

euromade

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 04:28:45 pm »
Just a quick update...
Over the past few days I've been taking my Echo for a ride, and this is what I have learned:

#1 It connects much better and faster to a dedicated "hot spot" vs the iPhone Personal Hotspot.  While trying to connect to the iPhone, I had to switch the iPhone Personal hotspot on/off to restore the connection.  No problem with the Verizon JetPack. 

#2 It appears when asking Alexa to play a Pandora station, my data usage is within the expected specs or 30-40mb/hr.

#3 My 2015 GMC Sierra has a decent audio system with bluetooth capabilities.  As of now, I am using the AUX input as it seams to be providing a more reliable audio connection.  (it would be nice to loose this cord, but not a deal breaker).

#4 As of now I'm staying away from the Amazon Music "database" as that one pulls down 2 songs at a time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:33:28 pm by euromade »

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 06:24:22 pm »
Nice to get your feedback.  Have you tried it with Tunin radio and iHeart radio as well, and does it all "behave well" as it does with Pandora?