Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo for white noise machine?

brewpat

Echo for white noise machine?
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:16:35 am »
So I followed this tutorial in order to get some noise machine functions on my echo dot:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/cant-sleep-use-your-amazon-echo-as-a-white-noise-machine/

But then I got to thinking... is the dot pulling the sound file just once and then repeating it via the loop command, or would doing this cause the dot to stream the sound file data from the cloud over and over again all night long??

I'm have good internet service but not sure I want to be streaming data the entire night.

mindmagic

Re: Echo for white noise machine?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:24:05 am »
Yes, you're playing music from Amazon Prime. Why not use a noise app on your phone, or download and save a free mp3 from somewhere?

CChamp

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:25:43 am »
Not sure what your tastes are but I usually just tell Alexa to "Play Forest Sounds", "Play Ocean Sounds", "Play Rain Sounds" etc. She plays them just fine. I do have the music unlimited package, not sure if that matters.

brewpat

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:26:56 pm »
i ended up going with an app on the phone and then connecting to the echo via bluetooth. i can still mute and what not via voice command through the dot. better this way than streaming all night long.

neildonovan

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 04:35:48 pm »
My wife is a very light sleeper. We thought it would help to stream some of the sleep sounds.  I told Alexa to loop Babbling Brook.  Just as my wife was drifting off it stopped and Alexa said it could not play this anymore.  Alexa FAIL