Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot & Harmony Hub

gsuemnic

Echo Dot & Harmony Hub
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:07:19 pm »
Is there a way to use Echo Dot & the Harmony Hub WITHOUT the Harmony skill, maybe by just using Yonomi ?
I ask because when using the Harmony skills,  if a family member uses Alex to power on the TV/ Cable box, but then uses the  remote control to turn them off, I have a ‘mess’ on my hands ? 
Logitech support  states, whatever is used to power on the devices, MUST be used to power them off
I'm really trying to justify keeping the Echo Dot & the Harmony Hub, but at this point they don't appear to ready for the simple task of replacing my remote !
Plus, I certainly don't want to have to say Alexia, tell Harmony to mute the TV, I just want to say Alexia mute the TV.

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Dot & Harmony Hub
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 08:12:14 pm »
Is there a way to use Echo Dot & the Harmony Hub WITHOUT the Harmony skill, maybe by just using Yonomi ?
I ask because when using the Harmony skills,  if a family member uses Alex to power on the TV/ Cable box, but then uses the  remote control to turn them off, I have a ‘mess’ on my hands ? 
Logitech support  states, whatever is used to power on the devices, MUST be used to power them off
I'm really trying to justify keeping the Echo Dot & the Harmony Hub, but at this point they don't appear to ready for the simple task of replacing my remote !
Plus, I certainly don't want to have to say Alexia, tell Harmony to mute the TV, I just want to say Alexia mute the TV.

You can use any number of devices to turn on/off your TV or cable box. But the problem is that Harmony has no idea if your TV is currently on or off. So when Logitech states that you MUST use the same device to power on & off, that is the only way Harmony knows for sure that when it turns something on, it is actually on (and vice versa for off).

Imagine this. A blind and deaf man goes to press the power button on the TV remote. How does he know if the TV is now on or off? If you told this man that the TV is currently on, and he goes to press the power button, he can be fairly certain that the TV is now off. And the next time he goes to press the power button, he knows that the TV is now on. Well, the Harmony is this blind and deaf man. The Harmony does not have any sensors for light, sound, temperature or otherwise. So it cannot sense whether a TV is on or off. The only thing it does is to send an infrared signal (or maybe an RF signal or IP packet) to a TV or other devices. Unfortunately, TVs don't reply to the Harmony to let it know whether the TV received the signal or what the current status of the TV is (on or off).

gsuemnic

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:26:20 pm »
I thought all of this would work like my simple TV remote. If the TV is 'on' the next press of the power button turns the TV 'off' and vice-a-versa ?

I didn't realize that the current 'state' would be recorded & saved ???

All I want to do is make TV viewing for an 80 year easy & via simple voice commands.

Is yonomi the answer ?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:29:23 pm by gsuemnic »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:40:55 pm »
How about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTNuJXi6UUk

Just kidding!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:42:30 pm by jwlv »

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:18:23 pm »
Yonomi helps immensely... however you do ave the same issue described above... The harmony hub is truly "blind" to the actual status of the TV, or any other device. It takes setting up the system and relying on it solely, unless you have someone or the ability to help correct things if they get out of sync... say you turn off the TV, then tell Alexa to turn off everything through Yonomi or directly to the hub... it will switch the TV power to the status it "isn't" currently. Once out of sync, one must go into the Harmony app and correct it to get things back on track. Some kind of hub is required. The newer the TV and other Audio/video devices, the better things work as well.

Once a Routine is set up in Yonomi, Alexa just talks to Yonomi app, and it talks to the hub for you, allowing commands that are different, instead of "Alexa, Tell Harmony to turn on a Movie", it can be named whatever you want such as "Alexa, Turn on Movie".... Much shorter commands and less complex. The hub is just a cool remote that uses an app through your chosen variety of Smart phone. Yonomi simplifies the commands... Alexa doesn't care what the commands are either... whether you tell it to tell Harmony to do stuff, or whether you tell it to do those same things directly...

It takes some careful consideration to get things set up where it works flawlessly, as the Human factor is actually quite a problem in being exacting in the commands... Took me a week to figure out where I was screwing up commands to turn on a movie, while I could easily get "Alexa, turn everything off" to work perfectly. Once I learned the correct command for the movie to turn on... I have control and never turn on anything in my A/V system by actual remote with anything other than the echo.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!