Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa is Talking to Herself

malliekm

Alexa is Talking to Herself
« on: February 10, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »
In the past she's thought she's heard her name while we were talking altho reviewing our conversations, nothing sounded like "Alexa".  But day before yesterday, she just blurted out when there was no one speaking.  The house was quiet.  The first time she said, "I can't play videos from Youtube".  I didn't understand what she said the next time but again, the house was quiet.  I looked in the history and all I found was a recording my dog barking.  He was outside.  Windows were open.  Hummm

mike27oct

Re: Alexa is Talking to Herself
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:28:34 pm »
This can happen for a variety of reasons; most are explainable.  I once had Alexa blurt out something, and I later determined it was set off by the bluetooth of a computer left on when I had been sending music to Alexa a few hours before.  So, now I keep all BT sources off when not in use that can cause a problem. 

Sometimes spurious RF energy can cause this.  Just today, I am sitting at the computer and my desk light (controlled by a TP smart plug and also controlled by Alexa) just turned off for no reason.  (I just told Alexa to turn it back on and it did.)  Once I gave a light cough, and a Dot told me it did not understand the question.  In the past few months these instances have become more frequent.  I presume it has something to do with Amazon "tweaking up" the mic sensitivity.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 07:19:29 pm »
Update on above.  I told my wife a smart plug turned off today all by itself, and her comment was , "Oh, you noticed."  She confessed she was "messin' with me" while out shopping, and saw the lamp was on in the TP-Link app and turned it off via the cell phone access! 

I guess we are even now, because one day I was outside and made the Alexa app play a Tunein station on our Echo in the house.  She said she jumped a mile high!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:18:58 pm »
In the past she's thought she's heard her name while we were talking altho reviewing our conversations, nothing sounded like "Alexa".  But day before yesterday, she just blurted out when there was no one speaking.  The house was quiet.  The first time she said, "I can't play videos from Youtube".  I didn't understand what she said the next time but again, the house was quiet.  I looked in the history and all I found was a recording my dog barking.  He was outside.  Windows were open.  Hummm

Hidden upgrade: Alexa now speaks dog. BTW, is your dog particularly fond of watching YouTube videos?