Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Tap gets "Hands Free" update

k9kids

Amazon Tap gets "Hands Free" update
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:12:08 am »
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/09/amazon-tap-firmware-update-enables-echo-style-hands-free-voice-commands/

Here's an interesting example of a product getting better with age. The Amazon Tap speaker was introduced as a mobile, battery-powered alternative to the Echo, with access to the same Alexa voice commands, but limited in that it could only accept said commands with a button press. This made the less-expensive Tap, while interesting, not all that much better than a smartphone for voice searches. But the latest firmware update from Amazon enables hands-free Alexa commands, like the Echo and Google's Assistant on the Google Home. Talk about a value add.

The new update can be downloaded and applied via the Amazon Alexa Android app. Once installed, the always-on voice feature can be turned on via the app whenever the speaker has a Wi-Fi connection available. The Tap should last for about 8 hours on a full charge even while always listening, and it can be put to sleep with a single button press when you're done with it. The new update actually makes the Amazon Tap something of a misnomer - tapping is no longer required.

This new feature makes the Tap functionally identical to the Echo (albeit without some of the larger device's fancy omni-directional speaker tech) at a $50 discount and a much smaller form factor. For that matter, the $130 Amazon Tap is the same price as the Google Home, and comes with untethered battery use, too. Considering how much of a head start Amazon has on Google in the voice assistant gadget category, the new update can be seen as a savvy strike at the competition.

Via: The Verge

Offline jwlv

Re: Amazon Tap gets "Hands Free" update
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:04:41 am »
That is definitely good news! I have yet to receive the update, as Amazon states that it will roll out over the next few weeks.

I bought the Tap because of the portability. In a previous post, I mentioned that I use the Tap when working on my car in the garage. It isn't always convenient to press a button on the Tap with engine grease on my hands. Someone else suggested that I could grab a towel or wrap the Tap in plastic so that it won't get dirty. Well, that's inconvenient too.

I'm glad Amazon listened to its customers. I know there are numerous people who prefer to use the button. But I'm one of those who prefer to be totally hands free. Amazon is now giving the option to choose which mode you want to use. That makes everybody happy!

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:25:42 pm »
Yea, good news.  More specific details in this CNET article:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enable-hands-free-mode-on-the-amazon-tap/

mobilelawyer

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:20:28 pm »
No firmware update has been pushed to my Tap as of this afternoon. Has anyone else seen theirs?

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:40:41 pm »
Nope, and one of my Taps has been sitting left on and in its charger.  Would not expect to see it until Amazon sends out a promotion msg about it coming.

mokyde

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 11:58:56 am »
I have all three devices and use them all daily. Got the tap update several days ago and love the versitality. Be careful as the first day I forgot it was on and the battery completely discharged. You can turn it on and off holding down the play/pause button for 3 seconds. Pretty cool update.

mobilelawyer

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 02:06:05 pm »
Mine was working this afternoon! Opened the Alexa app. and found the switch for the Tap for hand-free operation. Turned it on, and my Tap answered my Alexa query. Nice. Based on what the literature says, however, only "Alexa" works as the wake word.

Glad to have the new feature, though.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 07:12:38 pm »
Cool, I checked as well.  The one I had left on charger overnight was updated, so turned on the one that was completely powered down, and when it powered on it immediately looks for any update and within five minutes it was updated as well.

I usually have kept mine in powered down mode, but have decided to keep nearest one in charger disk since it is quicker to use right away.  Now, with the tapless mode, it is even easier.  Note that pressing main power button once on back puts unit in standby mode, and hands free instructions suggest that be done to save power.  Pressing mic button pops unit out of standby,  Tapless mode is retained even after complete power down. (To completely power down for no battery drain, hold power button in for 3 seconds until beeps.)

Yes, nice new feature.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:04:32 am »
My Tap just got the update this morning after I left it on the charging base overnight.
I really wish I had bought more Taps when it was on sale a few months ago. Having full hands-free capability plus battery powered portability is a big WIN-WIN! Now I have 3 Echoes and 6 Dots that I will want to replace.

k9kids

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 09:22:00 am »
Mine updated this morning too.

Works like a champ.

Wonder if they'll allow different wake words down the road. Currently only Alexa wakes it up.

A truly versatile portable unit now.

dan8379

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 04:19:51 pm »
Slightly off topic, but since we're talking about the Tap--when I went in to update to hands free on the app I noticed that under "battery" it said charging, 85%.  I keep the Tap on the base all the time when not in use (as I would assume most people do) so it's usually fully charged.  Is it normal to expect full battery charge to be down to 85% (I've probably had the Tap for close to a year I think). 

k9kids

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 04:26:00 pm »
Mine had a similar situation. I think it was constantly showing 65%.

Rebooted the unit and all is well now. Just stuck in limbo I guess.

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 04:35:55 pm »
No it isn't normal. so reboot the Tap by pressing power button in for 3 seconds until it shuts off.  When you turn it back on check battery again to see if it says "Charged". Put it back in charger disk to see if it charges higher if not indicating 100% or charged.  Some devices that are kept in charging state a long time reduce charge to less than 100% to prevent damage from overcharging.  I do not know if this is how a Tap works.  If you cannot ever get 100% or see app say "charged" you could have a defective unit, and I would check with Amazon if above doesn't help.

dan8379

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 04:44:55 pm »
Great, thanks.  Will try this when I get home tonight.

iolinux333

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 10:52:59 pm »
I hope the option to not have an acknowledgement beep when voice activation is triggered, is added in soon. I HATE acknowledgement beep so much. It reminds me of Siri.