Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa with 3rd party apps?

Mark2312

Alexa with 3rd party apps?
« on: February 02, 2017, 05:16:55 pm »
Does anybody know about more apps like WhizScreen that work with Alexa?
I am building a smart home and I am looking for more ways to leverage my old tablets/smartphone as smart devices. I see no reason paying for property hardware when i can turn my tablet into smart devices that talk with Alexa just by installing an app.

Jez

Re: Alexa with 3rd party apps?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:30:44 pm »
How would you like to automate your home? As a programmer, I'm really interested to find out how people would like to use these things. In your wildest dreams what would you want your dot or echo to do, know or fetch on command.

Jez

fstbusa

Re: Alexa with 3rd party apps?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:42:15 am »
Does anybody know about more apps like WhizScreen that work with Alexa?
I am building a smart home and I am looking for more ways to leverage my old tablets/smartphone as smart devices. I see no reason paying for property hardware when i can turn my tablet into smart devices that talk with Alexa just by installing an app.

really depends on what platform you are using for your smarthome.  I have smartthings and there are some cool things people have done with tablets and phones mounted to the wall and used them as a smart interface using the SmartTiles app.  You can interface Alexa with just about every Smarthings device out there including getting additional info from the devices using a couple user written smartapps.

http://www.smarttiles.click/
This would be what your screen would look like on a tablet mounted to a wall... kind of a control center of sorts.

Not really sure if this is what you're looking for or not.