Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Finding and installing Kasa app

SGS

Finding and installing Kasa app
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:46:52 am »
I am using a Kindle Fire HDX 7".

I have an AMAZON DOT. I downloaded and installed the Alexa app. The DOT is working fine.

I just got a TP-LINK Smart plug. The instructions say to download the KASA App. I found KASA App Mobile on Play.Google.com. Is that the KASA.App I need to install on my Kindle Fire?

On Play.Google.com there is a button "Install". When I click the button I et an error that says "No devices found". HELP!!!!

Steve

mike27oct

Re: Finding and installing Kasa app
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »
Steve,

As I hope you know, the place to get apps for your Fire is at the Amazon App store.  Amazon tablets use a custom version of the Android OS, and app makers make a custom version of their app specifically for the Kindles.  Not everyone makes a Fire-specific app of their Android app for Amazon.  If an app is not in the Amazon store, most Fire tablet users are out of luck.

And going to the Google store is not helpful at all, because their store checks to see if your device is a standard Android device, and if not, you get that error message and you don't get in.

What to do?  I have Kindle Fires and the Kasa app is not installed on them, but no matter, since I also have an iPhone and iPad, and the app is installed on both.  If I had an Android phone, it could also be installed on it.  These are the only devices the app is made for, so if you have either, install it there.

There is one last hope for a Fire tablet.  In some cases, a standard Android app can be installed on a Fire tablet using a procedure called "side loading".  I have done this in the past with limited success; some apps work on the Fire and others don't.  A good place to learn about side loading is to google the term, or check this specific Fire website:  http://www.lovemyfire.com/
Every Fire owner needs to have this site bookmarked.

I have not side loaded Kasa on my Fire since it is not an option I need.  Good luck if this is your only option.