Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Teach Alexa to use my Name?

Falstaff

Teach Alexa to use my Name?
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:17:51 am »
Calling all you smart techy people........

Do you know a skill , or could you write one, that causes Alexa to add my name to her responses. I am the only person who uses my device and I think it would be great if she said " the time is (whatever) Falstaff.....
Sad, perhaps, but itwould be very cheery....I'd love it....

malliekm

Re: Teach Alexa to use my Name?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:44:43 pm »
That would be cool :) I already say please and thank you...it's my genteel southern upbringing :D

coyote

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:17:24 am »
It is my guess that, within two years, Alexa will know your name by default. Because more and more, it is becoming evident that voice biometrics will be a requirement going forward. All 'secure' app potential, such as banking and home security, is dependent on it - and even the "false triggers", such as where Echo responds to its own speaker, will be minimized when that is instituted.

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:09:28 am »
Personally, I really dislike being reminded of my own name by the person I'm talking to so this would annoy me intensely! Voice recognition though, that's got to come for security reasons as Coyote points out. The more your house is connected and items operated by Alexa, the more essential this will be, never mind the issues already cropping up relating to inadvertent purchasing and the now quite frequent responding of the software to its own speakers.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »
Personally, I really dislike being reminded of my own name by the person I'm talking to so this would annoy me intensely! Voice recognition though, that's got to come for security reasons as Coyote points out. The more your house is connected and items operated by Alexa, the more essential this will be, never mind the issues already cropping up relating to inadvertent purchasing and the now quite frequent responding of the software to its own speakers.

So Tell Alexa your name is "Homeboy" or "Buddy" or "man" or something that makes you more comfortable maybe... at least you would know it's directed at you, without your name being spoken.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

strayfish

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 06:14:17 pm »

So Tell Alexa your name is "Homeboy" or "Buddy" or "man" or something that makes you more comfortable maybe... at least you would know it's directed at you, without your name being spoken.

Since it's not happening at all, it's an issue I can address should it ever begin doing so. I'd maybe go with Your Majesty to start with, just to get the relationship in proper perspective :)

iolinux333

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 10:55:14 pm »
I HATE when Siri calls me by name. Makes me despise Siri even more than I thought possible. I hope Alexa never starts with that BS.

jim1590

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 03:17:14 pm »
The person speaking recognition will be nice.

How about knowing what room the Echo is in for light control. Would be nice to say "Alexa turn on the lights" vs "Alexa Living Room lights on."