Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Remote control mouse

mollyshark

Remote control mouse
« on: January 31, 2017, 07:54:01 pm »
This is probably reaching for the moon, but it would be wonderful if you could control a remote mouse through Echo.  When I'm teaching and doing a powerpoint presentation, I could just say "Echo next" to go to the next slide or the name of a button on the screen to press.  Probably craziness, huh?

coyote

Re: Remote control mouse
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:12:54 pm »
Not crazy at all. I've already posted a desire for similar functionality, though my use case is the kitchen. Imagine Alexa controlling a screen. You have your hands in a mix of ground turkey with onions and island soyvlaki sauce, making burgers, and you're looking at the recipe on the screen. You need to scroll down to the next part of the recipe, without getting ground turkey all over your tablet: "Alexa, scroll down." You want to see the picture of how to wrap the phyllo dough around the accompanying asparagus: "Alexa, zoom in".

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:57:51 pm »
Maybe this should be a function of the tablet screen, not an echo device.  I know I can control my iPad by voice in limited ways, but my iPad is not one of the more recent ones.  Maybe the newest ones allow for more voice control.

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 05:00:54 am »
Maybe this should be a function of the tablet screen, not an echo device.  I know I can control my iPad by voice in limited ways, but my iPad is not one of the more recent ones.  Maybe the newest ones allow for more voice control.

Didn't know that - off to investigate :)

coyote

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 06:44:39 am »
Note I said Alexa, not Echo. Indeed, Alexa will eventually find its way into tablets... and a tablet with a mic array around the edges would function the same way as the Dot. But with a screen :)

Offline kevb

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 07:18:57 am »
For teaching and presentations, it's probably better to use a remote control "clicker" instead of voice control to move slides. That way you can still speak on topic while changing slides, and will avoid the Echo picking up extraneous sounds. I know you used "Echo", but there have been cases reported here where the Echo confused the word "Next" (next up, next one) with "Alexa".

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 01:59:55 pm »
Note I said Alexa, not Echo. Indeed, Alexa will eventually find its way into tablets... and a tablet with a mic array around the edges would function the same way as the Dot. But with a screen :)

Saying Alexa or Echo device infers having voice control, and voice control is there in a Fire tablet or FireTV.  Not much, though.  An iOS device responds to voice as well; just not Alexa. I can use voice control to "type" an iMessage text.  The point I was making was if one is looking at a PC or tablet screen those devices need to have voice control; what does an Amazon device with Alexa have to do with controlling another device's screen!

Jez

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 05:48:53 pm »
Personally, I think that nothing else on the market compares with the voice recognition capabilities of the echo or dot, in fact the dot is slightly better than the echo. From the other side of the room you can softly speak and it will still correctly interpret your words ... ok some mistakes ... but still brilliant.

Other devices mean you need to up close to the mic and it still gets it very wrong.

Controlling a screen is going to be very useful, if you're watching TV and you ask a question it would be really quite cool to see visual answers along with spoken answers on a separate screen or picture-in-picture. e.g. Who starred in ??? tv series in the 80's etc.

Jez.