Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Texting (& email) for Hangouts/GV users

coyote

Texting (& email) for Hangouts/GV users
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:59:44 am »
There's a skill called MailBox that reliably originates texts and emails to folks that you have put on a list, or replies to texts & emails from anyone. It links to your Google accounts, including Google Voice.

The list format for the text origination is interesting. You have to go into a received text, extract the full address string, and make that the detail for the person in question. It looks like

John           12015551212.18183456666.Qde1eYT@txt.voice.google.com

With the first phone# being the one you were assigned by google, the second being the recipient's phone#, and the remainder before the @ being necessary though unknown to me. So you can be prepping your meal in the kitchen, and say "Alexa, open Mailbox and send an SMS to John" and it will direct you on how to proceed.

It's pretty awesome. But again, you have to use a Google Voice account.

StevenR

Re: Texting (& email) for Hangouts/GV users
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:09:01 am »
I can't find a skill called MailBox in the UK skills store, searching for MailBox finds a skill called Notion, which also says it links to your Google account. Is this the same skill or is the MailBox skill not available in the UK?

Alpha Bitch

Re: Texting (& email) for Hangouts/GV users
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 02:02:40 pm »
I can't find a skill called MailBox in the UK skills store, searching for MailBox finds a skill called Notion, which also says it links to your Google account. Is this the same skill or is the MailBox skill not available in the UK?
In the US Skill store it is called Mail Box.  The developer has a website.  So you may be able to get it there if you have a Google account - https://mailboxskill.xyz/