Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Wanted - list of truly compatible portable bluetooth speakers for the Echo

jonnyb6

I have an Echo ... which I think is fantastic. I also have a portable blue-tooth speaker that I bought at the same time as the Echo which connected easily, stays connected  and sounds very good. Especially hidden out of sight on top of my kitchen units. But unfortunately as it won't connect to my iphone .. so I'm going to have to return it as ultimately I want the speaker I have to be of use for things like holidays as well.
Has anyone found a list of portable Blue-tooth speakers for the Echo. I have found sites that recommend speakers and then when I contact the manufacturers they admit that it will disconnect after a certain amount of time ... Some that do this then reconnect automatically but then beep when reconnecting. No good.
So ... I'm looking for a reasonably current portable blue-tooth speaker that connects to the echo (via blue-tooth), stays connected and doesn't cost a fortune. 95% of the time I will be using it for the Echo so it doesn't need to be a high end, expensive speaker but good enough for holidays with my iphone. There are loads on Amazon that come in at under £40 but most have comments about no good for treble or doesn't stay connected all of the time .. powers off ... etc. I don't really want to spend more than £40.
Ultimately ... I'll be using my Sonos speakers for the Echo ... but I need this blue-tooth speaker for the interim until Echos are made compatible with Sonos later this year.
Any help really appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:32:45 am by jonnyb6 »

mindmagic

I have one of these and I'm very happy with it. I don't think it auto switches off - it's certainly not mentioned in the manual - but I always turn it off anyway when I'm not using it. It connects and disconnects from my Dot when switched on and off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L4IDA04/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Alpha Bitch

I am very happy w/my iHome® Bluetooth Rechargeable Mini Speaker.  Under $30.  You can get it from any B&M store that sells electronics.

jonnyb6

Hi .... Thanks for getting back to me. So the Bolse Speaker ... Can I check ..
You leave the speaker plugged into the mains all day?
And connected to the Dot via Bluetooth ..?
And whenever you use the Dot .. it uses the Bolse speaker without any problem.
You don't have to re-connect it ..
There are no beeps from the Bolse?
Sorry to ask so many questions but when I've tried asking these questions on Amazon ... you get daft replies like ... "I haven't got an Echo but it should be ok" .... Not helpful...!

malliekm

I thought all BT speakers would disconnect after so many minutes of not being used (to save battery).  Maybe not.  I have a Jawbone Jambox that has great sound but sadly the company has stopped making them to focus on their health line of devices.  I keep it plugged into the electrical outlet so that it's always connected to the Echo Dot.  If I didn't, it would power down with no use.  AND likely sometime in the middle of the night, the speaker would make a loud chime and say "25% battery life remaining"!

mike27oct

Right, BT speakers must be powered down to keep them silent.  A few days ago I confirmed this by turning on my Mini jambox near the Dot it was close to and paired with previously while the Dot was playing music.  Within 5-6 seconds the music swapped to the speaker.  Later, I told the Dot to disconnect bluetooth, but I purposely did not turn off BT speaker, and in a few seconds again the speaker connected to the Dot BT and was playing again.  To prevent this from happening, BOTH devices must have BT off, and in the case of the speaker, it must be fully off to turn off BT.

jonnyb6

In my case I'll only be using the Dot with the speaker in the house. If I have paired my phone with the speaker on a holiday or something ... I'll "forget this device" in settings and so that will stop any crossover.

So are we saying that a portable rechargeable blue-tooth speaker will need to be plugged into the mains to stop any power saving problems?

If so then ideally then .. if possible the batteries need to be removable or the constant charging will kill them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:42:52 am by jonnyb6 »

Alpha Bitch

So are we saying that a portable rechargeable blue-tooth speaker will need to be plugged into the mains to stop any power saving problems?

If so then ideally then .. if possible the batteries need to be removable or the constant charging will kill them.
I keep my BT speaker (listed above) in its charger so it is always fully charged.  Charger is hooked up to an electrical outlet (in the kitchen).  The only time the BT speaker is off the charger is when I take it into the bathroom to use as I am bathing.  This is the only time the "battery" is used.  In my mind, "less is more."
The BT speaker has an "ON & OFF" button.  :D

jonnyb6

Hi..
Which mini ihome mini speaker do you use? There seems to be a lot of variations out there.
Also ... Don't you find that keeping on charge kills the rechargeable battery?

coyote

The issue is that almost all 'portable' BT speakers must be fed a signal, else they time out and then turn off. I had one connected to an android tablet for alerts; I had to send it a 'beep' every ten minutes to prevent that timeout.
Alexa has no such schedule-able repeated function.

jonnyb6

Re: Wanted - list of truly compatible portable bluetooth speakers for the Echo
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 10:59:13 am »
I know there are speakers out there that work .. I have one. It's a Ministry of Sound S Type. It stays connected to my Dot via blue-tooth all of the time. I have it on a timed 1 hour recharge ... so most of the time it's on battery. There are no beeps ... Fantastic .... But ... The problem is that this speaker needs to be returned as it won't connect to my iphone so I can't use it for holidays etc.
So there are portable bluetooth speakers out there but there are hard to find as even the manufacturers don't seem to be confident they will work.... They only way to find out is to take pot luck or see if anyone else has got one that works.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 01:31:10 pm »
Hi..
Which mini ihome mini speaker do you use? There seems to be a lot of variations out there.
Also ... Don't you find that keeping on charge kills the rechargeable battery?
The iHome® Bluetooth Rechargeable Mini Speaker can be found HERE.  This same mini can be found at BestBuy.

Keeping it on the rechargeable battery/charger does not kill it.  I have an iPod that has stayed on a rechargeable battery/charger for 10 yrs now.  I only remove it from the charger when I am out & about.  When I return home, back on the charger it goes.  It's also connected to my stereo receiver all while on its charger.

HTH

jonnyb6

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 06:41:04 pm »
Hi ..
Thanks for the info on the ihome speaker. I'm looking for something a little more powerful ... At least a few watts. Just so when I want to take it with me on holiday it's up to the job ...

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 07:02:47 pm »
Alpha, my iPods are used and cared for the same way, including one connected to the stereo. So far, so good, regarding the batteries.  Sgoes for my laptop PCs that are constantly plugged in.

Nevertheless, not all products like this treatment. A product I have called My Wireless Passport (hard drive) has had issues for me and others. The batteries can overcharge and swell the Li battery so much that the case pops open in worst case situations, and reduces the battery life in others.  The situation was bad enough that the manufacturer redesigned the firmware of the device to drop battery to 80% max charge during long periods of overcharging, and they advise against over charging. 

So, each device's batteries are unique, and it could be possible to overcharge a BT speaker battery beyond repair. One needs to monitor the situation if overheating, etc is an issue.

jonnyb6

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 06:10:43 am »
I would have though that Amazon might have promoted a few portable Bluetooth Speakers as Echo compatible. I suppose  it would be detrimental to the collaboration with Sonos.